Saturday, July 6, 2019

Unsupportive family, how do you deal with it?

So I'm 25M, I still live at home with my mum as I've had some serious problems in my life and I am currently studying and my mum is really nice and doesn't expect too much of me. She helps me with money and whatnot when needed (she's somewhat well off) She's just ... deep down a really nice person. But I've noticed over the past few years she's gone from being really supportive about almost any goals I set for myself in life, whether it be getting my drivers license or losing weight, she's really negative and basically tells me it doesn't matter cause I'm not going to make it anyways (paraphrasing as she doesn't put it as bluntly but it's clear what she means)

I've recently started losing weight for real and I feel like I'm making the best progress I've made in years. But all I get from the one person that I expected to motivate me the most is negativity. If I want to indulge in a chocolate bar on a saturday just to give myself a treat that's about 200kcal, she's immediately on me "oh well there goes your entire days worth of calories, might as well give up" or something along those lines. I'm just sick of it, this has gotten progressively worse and I'm just not sure how to deal with it. She has done so much for me and still is, but the way she acts towards my weight loss goals is making it harder.

As I still live at home with no real income, she pays for the food and does most of the shopping and it tends to be unhealthy options mixed with some okey options. Since I count calories I just do my own thing and eat less and then fix something up for myself and whatever throughout the day. I've tried to get her onto the weight loss trail as well, and at first she seemed excited even, she kept saying "when I get my few weeks of vacation I can start" but you can expect what happened when her vacation started "no, I just want to eat what I want, I can just eat less" but she refuses to count calories cause "it's too hard".

I feel somewhat pathetic as it is a petty issue, since I still live with my mum with no job and whatnot but I've psychological issues that I feel have a lot to do with my self image being completely shit due to my weight and I just really want to lose it.

But how do you deal with a family member that supports me with everything other than my lifegoals?

Became more of a rant than I expected, in my head it felt like I was gonna type up a small text about how my mum isn't supporting my weightloss but as I wrote stuff just came out.

submitted by /u/Flurpen
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2FX5mIm

No comments:

Post a Comment