Thursday, February 3, 2022

44yr Male down 48lbs

This is my sort of throwaway because I am not sure how I feel about posting here, but I never seem to see any older people in the posts that wander to r/all and thought it might encourage someone.

I finally went in to our clinic because my wife nagged enough about the weight loss program there. Turned out to be my midlife crisis appointment.. I was shocked to learn that I qualified for surgery, and I would later learn that I had blood pressure and cholesterol at levels that recommended medication. There are lots of scales and syndromes that basically say I was super at risk for a cardiovascular event (or the beetus). Without getting long winded, I will just say that I have always been overweight but active, but this was a moment where I realized that over the years the overweightness had quietly grown and the activeness shrunk. Covid didn't help.

The program there is multifaceted, basically everyone must commit to #1 seeing a practitioner once a month. After than they can choose to add #2 nutritionist visits, #3 psych sessions, and/or #4 medication. I ended up choosing 1,3, and 4. I was healthy back in the day and didn't see the need for a nutritionist, and the primary could answer any food questions that came up. I tried the psych thing once but don't feel I have strong emotional issues around eating or weight, I'm just lazy and like beer.

So I have been meeting with the practitioner monthly and was prescribed Wegovey to diminish (destroy) my appetite. Here is where I am at so far with the notable things I have implemented:

Day 1 mid Nov: 6'3" 306lb 44lb male, BP 150/100+, LDL 274, A1C 5.4

-Wegovy injection 1x a week

-30 days with zero alcohol, then holding at no more than one time social drinking per week. (Xmas to new years was an exception).

-Fast until lunch 5-6 times a week. One pint coffee/day max. Lunch is always a salad and a protein (eggs, nuts, leftover meat/fish). Dinner was just much smaller portions (we tend towards decent "whole" foods anyway, I just eat a lot). Cut out any carbs that were not whole grain. Beef is once a week or less. I don't much like sweets - I have been eating fruits and plain yogurt if I want a snack/dessert or feel hungry.

-30min mild exercise (walking) or lifting 5x week minimum. I have been alpine skiing 1-2x a week also.

-Aim for 18 cups of water per day.

Today: 6'3" 258lbs, BP 130/80 (systolic sometimes down to 115), LDL 192, A1C 4.8

At the beginning shortly after things were working I had a goal of 250lb by spring, yet I will meet that soon. In the back of my head I was thinking of pushing to 230 which was my healthy intense weight lifting weight, but maybe I will try to go less. I do think there might be a point where I get more serious about lifting/exercise and do some tracking of calorie deficits/protein etc. Skiing finally feels notably different when you drop 45lbs, and it feels better overall to be drinking way less. Sleep is improved.

Results are apparently not typical, but I was hella sedentary and drinking lots of calories. Feels nice, highly recommend.

submitted by /u/Quarantini-19
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/ltEoQgh

No comments:

Post a Comment