Tuesday, February 1, 2022

"Oh what, you've convinced yourself you're fat, so now you're not eating?"

Something my friend said to me a couple of days ago has been really bugging me. I wonder if anyone else has experienced someone saying something similar to them.

Basically, almost all of my friends and family are overweight/obese. Some of them are happy the size they are, and are big proponents of the whole body positivity thing: you need to love yourself and be happy with your body no matter what size you are; there's no problem with being big unless you've got health issues... etc.

Which is all well and good, but these people seem to take a negative attitude when anyone mentions wanting to lose weight or eat healthy, even if the person is doing so for very personal reasons.

I'm a little overweight, but not by much. I'm actually one of the smallest in my friend group - but I am overweight. I'm just not obese.

Since the new year, I have been trying to eat healthy: lots of vegetables, no snacking or desserts, no calorific drinks, limiting calorie-dense and processed foods, sensible portion sizes. I have also been walking more.

I haven't been tracking calories, but I have lost almost 10 pounds over the past month so I must be doing something right.

Anyway, a few days ago I went out for a meal with my husband and two of our friends (a couple, both of whom are obese).

Normally I would eat a starter, a main course, a side dish and a dessert all to myself, and probably have a calorific drink too (like a cocktail or juice). But I'm trying to make better choices nowadays.

As we were looking over the menu, my friend asked what I was going to have, and I replied something like "Hmm, I'm not sure. I probably shouldn't order too much though"

And then he said what's in the title. "Oh, what, you've convinced yourself you're fat, so now you're not going to eat?"

I mean... the way he said it, with a sarcastic/condescending tone of voice, made it sound like I had an eating disorder or something. Like I was actually super skinny but was deluded into thinking I'm overweight. When in reality... I AM overweight, by every metric possible: waist measurement, BMI, body fat percentage and clothes size.

He's just a lot bigger than I am. So I guess... either he genuinely thinks that I'm not overweight because he's comparing me to him, or, he knows I'm overweight but is trying to downplay it because he doesn't want me to lose weight and get even smaller than him?

I just tried to change the subject and said something vague about trying to eat healthy and it not being about weight loss (which is a lie, but I didn't want to talk about it).

It's just been playing on my mind since then, though.

Anyone experienced something similar? How did you respond?

submitted by /u/fernshanks
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/lwipIEohX

No comments:

Post a Comment