Monday, April 4, 2022

100 pounds lost!

Y’all, 14 months after this journey began I am down ONE HUNDRED POUNDS!!!!

5’2” female 35 years old. SW- 248. CW-148. GW-136? Maybe?

My motivation: After both my parents were diagnosed within weeks of each of diabetes, I knew my turn was coming. I have seen some really awful diabetes related complications of family members. There’s no guarantees in life, but if I can prevent some of that, I’m going to.

Secondly, I’ve got two little kids. It was hard to get in and out of the floor to play with them. I want to play with my kids, damnit!

How? Step 1, I had to address the mental health part. I have anxiety and I resisted meds for a long time. Meds have been incredibly helpful for me.

Then, I had to get my head right. I’d been working on this step for a long time. Thanks to this community, I have learned so much and had so many great paradigm shifts… helping me be ok with slow weight loss, helping me manage my expectations, working towards sustainable change rather than I must lose it all by a certain day. Life changing.

Thank you so much for sharing your stories, your progress photos, your advice and knowledge…. It’s shown me what’s possible- I wouldn’t have had the same success without it.

Step 3- CICO. Logged my calories, if I didn’t know for sure I made my best guess, made choices based on my calorie budget. And did you know, you aren’t limited to 1200 or 1500 calories??? Until this sub, I had no idea. Again, life changing.
The amount of calories I’ve eaten have changed as I’ve lost weight.

Got an Apple Watch - established baseline data of how much I typically walk in a day so I could set goals. No real exercise other than just trying to be active more throughout the day and walks when I can. My goals have to be sustainable and I’m not in a place in my life where I can dedicate 45 consecutive minutes to exercise most days. I hope as my kids get older I can improve in this area.

I’ve logged my weight every day and kept a journal of non scale victories. These things have been very helpful for me. (Also the quantitative AND qualitative data makes nerd-me soooo happy!)

I wish I could say I dug deep and used tons of will power and fought tooth and nail for every pound … I have to be honest, I had help. I’ve been taking saxenda and it’s really helped me stay with it. I’m very lucky my insurance covers it, with a reasonable copay. If it’s something you’re looking at- check to see if your insurance will cover it, first, and be aware there is the potential for some gnarly side effects. My side effects weren’t bad at all.

What now? My doctor would like my BMI to be at 25, which for me is 136 pounds. That sounds like a good goal to me. I’m nervous about maintenance… I’ve kind of accepted that logging calories may be a forever thing for me. I also have additional fitness aspirations I am looking forward to working on.

I know I wrote a book here … but it’s been cathartic to reflect on my journey … and hopefully share something that might be helpful for someone else.

submitted by /u/Harmony23446
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/8tYoCT6

No comments:

Post a Comment