Wednesday, June 15, 2022

7 Months Deep - stuff I figured out along the way

So as of this morning I am exactly 7 months into my weight loss journey. I've lost 40lbs and I'm 7lbs away from the arbitrary goal I set myself.

Honestly, this post is probably a little pat on the ol' back, but a conversation with a co-worker I had made me think about what I've learned during this time. I thought I'd share in case anyone would like to read it. :)

1 - You don't need a "valid" reason to start losing weight. It doesn't have to be a Monday. That event in 3 days? Sure, you can start after, or you can get a 2 day head start. Whatever. I started on November 15th 2021 because on November 14th I went for a coffee with a friend and we both ended up with massive milkshakes and cake. We then proceeded to moan about how losing weight is just so hard. The conversation flipped to "We should start losing weight tomorrow" which turned into a challenge and, well, I'm heckin' competitive.

Also, setting short-term goals helps. My first one was "I wonder how much I'll lose in a week?" then it turned into "by Christmas" and so on and so on...

2 - You cannot FAIL your diet. It's kinda impossible. It's not a test, the only real time-limit is your lifespan. You can change your mindset and convince yourself that you have failed, but it's always possible to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and continue.

3 - Well-meaning people will accidentally sabotage you. Ill-intentioned people will deliberately sabotage you. In my experience it's better to assume good intentions.

Just yesterday a co-worker brought doughnuts around the office. I said no thanks, she left one on my desk so I wouldn't "miss out", and you know what? I ate it. I damn enjoyed it. Then I shuffled my calories to make space for it.

4 - Your appetite will probably shrink. I used to casually enjoy a large pizza to myself. If I was being good I'd set a slice or 2 aside for breakfast the next day. These days I can happily enjoy half a pizza (any size, it turns out it all looks similar if you stack it on a small plate!).

I don't know if this is a mind-over-matter thing, but I've learned to listen to when I'm satisfied with the amount I've eaten. Slowing down to enjoy smaller meals helps, too.

5 - You don't have to be FULL to be satisfied. This one I figured out last month and it blew my mind. Like...I can actually stop eating anytime and approximately 20 minutes later I'll feel better than before I started eating. It's like magic or something.

Last but not least, and this is my newest opinion, the last 7 lbs are a massive tease.

submitted by /u/HekkinFlip
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/9oZCdWv

No comments:

Post a Comment