Tuesday, June 21, 2022

The danger of body image obsession

I was doing my usual visits to favourite reddit subs, mainly loseit, progresspics, petite fitness, when it struck me how all this - weight loss, tracking macros to the gram, body fat percentages, stressing over a 1lb or two gained here and there, hyper-aware body image critiquing, worrying about stretch marks - can become a bit obsessive.

I've lost a decent amount of weight over the course of the last year - 70lbs, which is just over 1/3 of my SW - and I owe a lot to this sub and the others for being part of a community that supports and encourages others. But perhaps over exposure comes with its own downside. At what point does weight loss and an obsession over our body image become more harmful than helpful?

I feel like I've stepped through a mirror today when I read a post about someone stressing because they couldn't get to a bf% of 10. They were at 12%. It was no longer about health, or enjoying life, it was all about body image.

I felt like, what's the point of all that worry? What will you do when you reach that goal? How can you possibly maintain perfection for the rest of your life, and how will you deal with it when you can't? Is this a real danger of becoming obsessed with external appearances and over exposure to groups all driven to achieving insta/tiktok levels of perfection?

I guess I'm feeling weary of it all and realise the danger of becoming too self obsessed. I'm close to my GW and have added the gym to my current exercise routine, yet have been more and more stressed about my body than when I was even at my HW. That might be slightly untrue, but I don't even remember how terrible I know I felt back then. I feel like I could become that person stressing about a 2% difference in body fat, and I don't want to become that person :(

submitted by /u/thatpeskyrabbit
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/vhm42p/the_danger_of_body_image_obsession/

No comments:

Post a Comment