Saturday, June 18, 2022

NSV: I rode roller coasters today. I rode *all* the roller coasters today

Evenin’ folks! First time posting here so forgive me if I miss any rules… but I just had to share a pretty huge NSV for me today.

Throughout my youth I absolutely looooved roller coasters. Ever since my grandfather took me to Kings Dominion in VA for the first time I was hooked! The rush, the sounds, the screams, the laughs you share with your fellow riders at the end. It’s all just amazing and fills me with a joy for life. There’s just nothing like the energy and magic of a great amusement park.

However, over the past decade or so.. I would say I have sized out of being able to enjoy this lifelong passion. The harnesses would get juuuust a little too tight, before starting to not lock in at all. And I’m sure there are a few people here that have shared that embarrassment and shame of getting to the front of the line and then being told you cannot ride. It sucks.

Ever since I have pretty much avoided going to amusement parks altogether. Why would I spend that money and that time to just be reminded of what I used to love? And the few times I have gone to them have not been positive experiences for me and my family.

Fast forward to August of last year, at my peak weight of around 330, I started working a new job as a handler at a doggy daycare… and it kicked my butt! I had no clue the job would be as physically demanding as it is, as there is a ton of lifting and bending and stretching and moving 100 lb dogs around. My first week my boss noticed my profuse sweating and sheer exhaustion and gave me the simple advice of “Don’t worry, you’ll develop the stamina”

And develop it did! As the days and weeks passed I stuck with the sweat and it got easier! I wasn’t dead every night when I got home! And now eight months later maybe I have dropped enough weight to ride roller coasters!

Today I took a chance and bought a ticket to Six Flags with a voice in my head saying “Hope for the best but don’t overhype yourself.” My clothes are fitting looser and maybe that’s a good sign! So with my fanny pack strapped to my waist I headed into the park….

And to make a long story….. still pretty long…. I was able to fit onto every. single. ride today. None of the harnesses were too tight. Not even in that ‘the attendant had to push and buckle it for me’ kinda way. It felt just like it always had and I cannot overstate the joy and pride that I have tonight sitting on the couch and reflecting on the day. A day I thought would never happen.

My advice for anyone out there wondering what change could help in their weight loss journey… it would be to look into active jobs (should you have the opportunity and ability of course). I haaaate working out, but somehow don’t mind being paid to be active. And if you love dogs, and can put up with cleaning up after a bunch of them, dog handling can be great for weight loss.

Go out and ride your roller coasters again folks. I believe in you!! Thanks for making it this far :D

submitted by /u/SkaCubby
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/mCL1sft

No comments:

Post a Comment