Monday, June 20, 2022

Should I see a dietitian?

For context, I'm 5'9", 24F, started at 310lb, lost about 35lb in 9 months, and then in the last 5 months have gained about 10lb back. I think a big part of why I'm not losing weight anymore is that I'm drinking and eating out more (my exercise has remained about the same). When I started trying to lose weight, I was living in an area where I was very socially isolated, and that was back when everyone was more locked down due to covid, so it was very easy for me to not drink (I drink alcohol socially, but not much if I'm just by myself) or eat out. Since then, I've moved to an area where there are more things to do and I have more friends, hence the worse dietary habits. For more context- when I eat in, I regularly use a food scale and plan the meals I cook based on calories/macros.

Anyway, I recently saw my primary care physician (first time seeing him, as I moved recently). Based on bloodwork and such, I am healthy (I've always been concerned about diabetes as it runs in the family- my glucose is on the higher end of the range, but still considered normal), but I'm obviously obese. The doctor said he was impressed at the weight loss I was able to do on my own, and then mentioned if I wanted to, I could go see a dietitian as well. He kind of framed it as, if I want to, I could, but also wasn't pushing it hard. I said I'd be interested to see one so he gave me a referral. Unfortunately, however, my insurance only pays for dietitians if I have a medical diagnosis- diabetes being the main thing (just for weight loss was explicitly said not to be a reason for insurance to cover).

Because insurance won't cover it, I'm not sure if it'll be worth it for me. It would be $450 for an initial visit and $150 for followup visits. I could afford it (depending on how many followup visits are necessary), but it would put a squeeze on my budget. Because I don't have any outstanding metabolic problems (that my doctor or I know of) besides my obesity, part of me is wondering if a dietitian will just say that I need to eat out and drink less. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Currently I'm thinking I'll put in the effort to eat out and drink less for a few months and see if that helps- and if not, then go see a dietitian. I'm going to ask my primary care doctor about this and see what he thinks, but also was curious if anyone here had some insight as well.

submitted by /u/francium_87
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/Po8azgZ

No comments:

Post a Comment