Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Feedback on light exercise

I'm seeing a doctor regularly about weight loss and one thing she's been insisting on, and I've finally made progress starting and keeping to for a little while now, is walking at least 15 minutes several times a week. She wanted 7 days a week but I've managed averaging 4 days a week, I believe. I'd have to check the pedometer reading in my iPhone's health app to figure it out for more accuracy.

Regardless...my walks aren't long; I aim for 20 minutes. What I've been doing is walking with weight added. At first it was 40 pounds, then 50 for about a week, now I upped it to 60.

I'm hoping it'll build more muscle in my legs, which would in turn help burn more calories and increase fitness, even if it's not as drastic as being able to afford a gym membership to do a more formal workout every weekday. The doctor seemed to push for the walks to get cardiovascular activity in instead of weight training for weight loss and control. And blood sugar control. Now that I'm using a Dexcom sensor and an insulin pump, I've been more careful about trying to avoid carbohydrates.

Sometimes I feel like nothing I do is "right"...changes to eating habits seem to be wrong, or the exercises I was doing before were wrong or the wrong type. I suppose I'm waiting to hear how walking with weights to try getting some muscle growth won't work for whatever reason at the next visit. But after thinking about it over my most recent walk (20 minutes ago) I thought I'd see what Redditors in this subreddit would think. Is there any benefit to be gained from this? I've been normally very sedentary. I have a desk job. Weight as of my last appointment closer to the beginning of the month was a little over 380. Walking with a weight vest now carrying 60 pounds without lasting pains or soreness so far, about 20 minutes at a time, trying to keep it near 4 times a week (except for grocery day, when I'm walking more but without any added weights because my wife would probably think it's a little too strange to go through a store with a weight vest on. Although walking that much through those stores probably would lead to injuries with the vest on the whole time.) Would just be nice to know if there's any positives to what I've been doing.

submitted by /u/bsilver
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/noJKbS2

No comments:

Post a Comment