Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Making a healthy choice can be an act of self-love and self-acceptance at any weight - that's not a privilege reserved just for people of a certain body shape.

I just came across this fairly negative take on another sub:

Losing weight sucks, because it's intrinsically a negative judgement of yourself.

I totally disagree. Making a healthy choice can be an act of self-love and self-acceptance at any weight - that's not a privilege reserved just for people of a certain body shape.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure the negative vibe is true for many. We all have our hangups to deal with. But here's the thing:

Losing weight is more likely to be successful if it is an expression of loving yourself rather than an expression of hating yourself. Making a healthy choice and honouring your body and your future can be an act of self-love and self-acceptance at any weight - that's not a privilege reserved just for people of a certain body shape.

We should treat ourselves with the love we deserve - making consistently healthy choices and treating your body with care is a great way to practice that love and acceptance.

Every day can be full of gratifying victories as you make healthy decisions - to eat the right thing, to exercise, to get back on the horse after going over your calorie budget, to log something diligently.

Sadly, if the logic of "lose weight = self hate" was true, losing the weight won't actually solve the core problem. Imagine an extremely health person who is only making healthy choices because there's still a fat version of themselve sitting in the back of their mind somewhere that they're hating on and running away from. They might stay physically healthy, but they're still not respecting themselves and their body. If the mere idea of being a certain weight is enough to make me hate a version of myself in spite of all of the other things about me, I don't think I'll be able to find happiness at any size.

As for me, I have had both negative thoughts at times AND loved my body and myself at times at every weight I have ever been. Sometimes the self-hate is a trigger, but my weight loss is never sustainable without the self-love.

I know that certain weights and fitness levels are going to allow me to do what I want to do (run far, parent good, carry groceries in one trip, not die, etc) more effectively. That's not self-hate, it's self-love.

If lose weight = self hate is true for you, that's just as important to work on as the weight itself. I'm no psychologist, but there are lots of stories on this sub of people who have totally changed their mindset as part of their journey. It's one of the things I like about being here and it reminds me to have some grace with myself, even when I make mistakes.

You're great at any weight. You deserve to be the best weight for your body and life. Be kind to your body to be kind to yourself.

submitted by /u/ennuinerdog
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/EjzmW8h

No comments:

Post a Comment