Sunday, April 9, 2023

Does anyone else gaslight themselves into thinking they made no progress?

Over the past 8 months, I (21M, 6'1'') lost 50 pounds from monitoring my portions and reducing my snacking (240 to 190). I know this is incredible progress, and I'm proud of myself. I've been obese for as long as I can remember, and now I'm almost in the "normal" weight category! However, sometimes my brain tries to trick me into thinking that nothing has changed. It doesn't help that I feel like I look the same. I've been told that I'm the same shape but smaller, but that's hard for me to see in the mirror or in pictures.

​

Examples of what I'm talking about:

I have shirts that used to be too small for me, and after I washed them, I would stretch them out horizontally while they dried so they would be wider. Now, I line dry them so they stretch vertically, and they're still too big on me. I know this means I got smaller, but then I think: "well, maybe the stretching didn't do much, and maybe I just think the shirts are too big now because I'm more confident in myself."

I used to wear size 40 pants, and now size 35 is too big. Even so, I tell myself: "maybe you just liked baggier clothes before and now you like tighter clothes."

People have told me that I look good, and then I tell them I've lost weight. Then, I think that maybe I just have better posture or more confidence or something, and they weren't talking about me looking smaller.

Sometimes, as ridiculous as it sounds, I tell myself that my weight loss could be all water weight or all muscle and that I really didn't lose any fat at all. It's honestly impressive how many leaps my brain will make to convince myself that I still have all my fat.

Does anyone else deal with the same thing? Is there a BMI where I'll start to actually see changes in myself (i.e. a shape change), or is it a matter of reworking my brain?

submitted by /u/MoreUtopia
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/07vY2Br

No comments:

Post a Comment