Sunday, April 9, 2023

Does anyone else gaslight themselves into thinking they made no progress?

Over the past 8 months, I (21M, 6'1'') lost 50 pounds from monitoring my portions and reducing my snacking (240 to 190). I know this is incredible progress, and I'm proud of myself. I've been obese for as long as I can remember, and now I'm almost in the "normal" weight category! However, sometimes my brain tries to trick me into thinking that nothing has changed. It doesn't help that I feel like I look the same. I've been told that I'm the same shape but smaller, but that's hard for me to see in the mirror or in pictures.

Examples of what I'm talking about:

I have shirts that used to be too small for me, and after I washed them, I would stretch them out horizontally while they dried so they would be wider. Now, I line dry them so they stretch vertically, and they're still too big on me. I know this means I got smaller, but then I think: "well, maybe the stretching didn't do much, and maybe I just think the shirts are too big now because I'm more confident in myself."

I used to wear size 40 pants, and now size 35 is too big. Even so, I tell myself: "maybe you just liked baggier clothes before and now you like tighter clothes."

People have told me that I look good, and then I tell them I've lost weight. Then, I think that maybe I just have better posture or more confidence or something, and they weren't talking about me looking smaller.

Sometimes, as ridiculous as it sounds, I tell myself that my weight loss could be all water weight or all muscle and that I really didn't lose any fat at all. It's honestly impressive how many leaps my brain will make to convince myself that I still have all my fat.

Does anyone else deal with the same thing? Is there a BMI where I'll start to actually see changes in myself (i.e. a shape change), or is it a matter of reworking my brain?

submitted by /u/MoreUtopia
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/07vY2Br

No comments:

Post a Comment