Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Stuck in a cycle of setting out to lose weight and then gaining more. I want it to end today.

Hey, y'all. Hoping for some advice or perhaps some encouragement.

I'm 5’4, 24, and weighed 231.2 as of last week. My goal weight is 130 or so - I am hoping to build up a lot of muscle mass so I'm okay with my final weight being a little higher if I'm happy with my figure.

I want to get on track with weight loss. I'm not very happy with my appearance, but I also don't feel great in other ways. A lot of my excess weight gathers on my stomach and it makes it hard to end over or squat for long periods of time. It also makes it hard to do certain movements in one of my hobbies. I know there are workarounds but I still get discouraged when I can't do certain things because of my massive gut.

I have been setting weight loss goals and making plans since 2017 but have only gained weight after each resolution. I am not very good at sticking to diet and exercise. What will happen is that I'll have a streak of daily exercise going from a week to about a month, and then I'll miss a day and then never her back on the wagon. Food is the same issue, with the added pressures of food cravings and impulsivity. I also like a lot of variety in my diet, which makes things worse. There was one point in time where I was able to stick to a caloric deficit, but at that point in time I had gone too far in the opposite direction and it was getting overly restrictive. I also was also making poor food choices (I remember doing shit like eating half a pint of ice cream for breakfast and then pretty much nothing else for the rest of the day).

I suspect I may have ADHD (or, if not ADHD, something that affects my concentration/habit building/organization lol) but haven't gotten tested yet. I have heard this can be a factor in weight loss and gain and want to know if any ADHD’ers have any advice.

I do have a few things going for me. I have picked up a few active hobbies, and take at least two work out classes a week to support those hobbies. I also worked with a personal trainer on my college campus for a year and a half, and through this I learned a lot about weightlifting and exercise in general. I also live with my parents, who have a lot of exercise equipment I can use. I think my main points of focus would be diet and maintaining regular exercise outside of my classes.

Do you guys have any good advice for maintaining a habit when you struggle with habit forming? Or maybe some diet tips? Thanks!

submitted by /u/fashionbackwards
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/GqYCE9c

No comments:

Post a Comment