Monday, January 31, 2022

Extreme weight loss from long covid. Not sure how to feel about it

I'm 27 and male. I got covid in January 2021 when I weighed 236 pounds at 5'11". I was trying to lose weight at the time, I hated myself and I was even considering bariatric surgery because I felt so hopeless, my weight has been fluctuating all my life and I had a bad relationship with food (binge eating).

Then the universe gave me exactly what I wanted in the most horrible way. I had a moderately severe case of covid which led to long covid with parosmia (everything tastes like death) and even 12 months later, I still can't eat properly. I'm down to 132 pounds and it is not a healthy weight for me. However I am still very happy with my weight loss and almost afraid of my taste coming back, so it's a tough position to be in. At first I basically starved myself for a few months because I thought I may as well make the most of this problem and lose weight, but now I think doing that made it harder for my body to recover. I'm not sure if my taste will ever come back.

I much prefer how I look now and I can do things I wasn't able to when I was obese, but it is also hell. I no longer enjoy or have any interest in food and it is oddly soul destroying because I can REMEMBER what these foods taste like but I can't access it. Sometimes I get so angry and upset because I just want to eat something.

I can't describe the taste but everything is like...sour/rotten/sewage. It is the worst thing I've ever tasted. Some things are less rotten than others, but almost everything has that taste. Even water sometimes. Smells too and even kissing..I can barely even enjoy the fact that I'm good looking now because making out makes me want to throw up

I live on meal replacement shakes but I don't drink enough of them. They make me gag. When I feel sick from hunger (rarely now because my stomach has shrunk or something) I just drink tea or water.

My hair is falling out and I've grown weird fluffy hair on some parts of my body. Despite this I still can't bring myself to eat more. I don't hate how I look now, I think I look good aside from the loose skin and hair issues.

But is it worth it? I don't know. Not really sure why I made this post but yeah if you have any advice that would be great

submitted by /u/OkArcher2835
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/AituPdJyK

No comments:

Post a Comment