Saturday, January 15, 2022

Calculating calories in homemade beef jerky?

I’m preparing to make some jerky for an upcoming camping trip, and want to actually get the calories on it right. The last time I made jerky, I just used someone else’s “homemade beef jerky” entry from the Lose It database… and while that definitely helped with weight loss (they somehow had eighty calories per half ounce serving), I’d like to be more accurate this time.

I’m pretty sure that changing the amount of water in something doesn’t affect the calories; like, when calculating the calories in pasta, you go by how much it weighs dry, right? So, when creating the recipe in my calorie counting app, I should input the wet weight of the beef, and then list the total recipe weight based on how much it all weighs dry?

I’m also a little confused about calories in a marinade. I’ve heard, at some point, that you only count the calories of the oil used… but the meat absorbs more of the liquid than the oil, and sugar should be taken into account too, right? But then this is jerky, with the goal being to remove as much liquid from the meat as possible, so how does that affect things?

For the first time since I started counting calories, I feel completely out of my depth. Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

submitted by /u/Chesu
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3Kbqo5k

No comments:

Post a Comment