Thursday, May 18, 2023

I'm very concerned about the sudden uptick in Ozempic and other weight loss meds like it.

I'm hearing more and more friends and family members using meds like Ozempic, Wygovy, etc for weightloss, and I'm becoming concerned.

For context: I started weightloss last year late, and my bf lost a lot of weight before we met and has been maintaining it. We're both doing it the old fashioned way. He has a medical condition, and I personally want to do it slowly to help preserve my tattoos.

This wouldn't be the first time prescription weightloss has become trendy, which is cause for concern in of itself. What also worries me is how so many people are being diagnosed with insulin or leptin resistance as a justification for this medication to be covered. Its making me wonder if its just a chronically underdiagnosed issue.

That being said, insulin resistance, while very real, has been a phrase used in crash diet advertising since Jenny Craig. There's also side effects to consider. My MIL's coworker had to seriously cut her dose because she was losing too much weight and was basically a walking skeleton. Also, wouldn't it be better to focus on preventative measures regarding insulin resistance?

Again, insulin resistance, leptin resistance, and other metabolic issues are very real disorders and of course require treatment. My concern is that people are going to seek out quacks for these prescriptions because it's becoming popular and get hurt, as well as drive up costs for people with diabetes who rely on these meds. I don't personally care how someone loses weight, I just care that they do it safely.

submitted by /u/spoopybunbun
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/sMSVrfc

No comments:

Post a Comment