Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Just going to say it: It’s really hard to be surrounded by folks on weight loss medications.

Hi all,

This community helped me immensely a few years ago when I lost 75 lbs to get close to a healthy weight. I maintain a BMI around 26.5. It works for me.

I am recovered from teen eating disorders and part of my weight loss strategy has been absolute rejection of fads and crash diets. Giving myself enough resisting eating too little helps me stay even keeled. I struggle with appetite and fluctuation, but I’m proud I’ve kept weight off. I know it’s always possible for me to put it back on.

I have friends and family on ozempic and wegovy currently for weight loss. I know it is a lifelong necessary medication for diabetics, and I know there was a time when I would have qualified and happily accepted it. But my loved ones are dropping weight so quickly, with no misery or even cravings. It flies in the face of my philosophy that losing weight quickly reduces your healthy muscle and metabolism. People talk about hair loss like it’s an independent side effect and not starvation. It’s hard to see people happily and comfortably starving themselves.

I know everyone is on the path they are meant for and mine is different from theirs. But when I have a second slice of pizza and my sister in law is saying how she “couldn’t possibly!” it’s difficult not to say something back - like maybe that there’s nothing wrong with being able to eat a normal amount of calories, and she should resist the real possibility of undereating. My best friend who doesn’t want to get dinner because it’s shot day and she doesn’t want to eat at all on shot day - if I skip meals, i’ll feel it later. Please don’t brag about this strange new chemical status. Thin people have always had to remember there is nothing moral about weight - and now I find myself wanting to tell my loved ones there’s nothing superior about gaining a chemical indifference to food. There is no way to say that without sounding bitter, so I’m venting here.

To those of you who are on it: I know being obese and overweight is a HARD journey. I lived it for years. Please be mindful of how you talk about your ozempic/wegovy weight loss to your friends and family - we are happy for you, but we may be silently struggling on our own path. Especially those of us who used to be a teen with and ED who would kill to just not be hungry, and who keep ourselves healthy by remembering it’s OK and normal to be hungry.

submitted by /u/bigfootsbabymama
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/LmUnFjd

No comments:

Post a Comment