Saturday, January 4, 2020

Crowded gyms are not an excuse to belittle newcomers :/

Yes, new years just past. Yes, people have made their weight loss related resolutions. Yes, it may mean the gym that you frequent becomes a bit crowded. Yes, you MIGHT have to wait a couple minutes to hop on a machine that's usually vacant. But none of these things are a reason to shame or belittle the people who are starting their journeys and have decided that going to the gym would be a part of that.

I've been frequenting my gym ever since I started on my weight loss journey so I've become a regular which means I can typically spot another regular. A couple days ago, January 2nd, I go to my gym during their peak hours. Right away I notice that there are more people there than usual even for peak hours, something that I expected being the 2nd day of the year.

As someone who has gone from obese to normal weight this last year, when I saw this I couldn't help but be excited for all these beautiful people starting a journey which I knew would change their lives for the better (as it did mine)! So when I walk through the door ready to check in with the front desk clerk, I see that his attention is on some ornery lifter that I recognize to be a regular ( I always recognize him in particular cos he's that guy who constantly and purposefully allows his weights to loudly crash onto the floor while he's lifting and then lets out some kind of guttural demon mating call sound after) who is ranting on and on about how crowded and how full of people who have "no hope" the place is. He audibly goes on to say that new years weight loss resolutions are "pointless for fat people" and that they should all just clear out now since they'll "probably give up in a few days anyway". Apparently the guy had to wait to use a machine which I guess is something he never had to do before? Meanwhile I'm over here waiting for this dummy to finish talking shit and just smile at the clerk who glances at me apologetically. But OOF did this whole thing leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Let's not forget that just getting through that door can be an anxiety ridden NIGHTMARE for some of us. God forbid you try and use a machine you're unfamiliar with and hope to GOD that you're using it correctly OR maybe you're doing a bit of calisthenics and are trying your hardest to keep your posture in check without looking like a flailing tube man. So yes, for some of us, it takes a lot of guts! So the last thing we need to hear is that we're unwanted at your gym. Because trust me, we're already pretty good at the whole self-deprecating thing and don't need some dummy to make us feel any worse or scare us off.

I know this man's views does not make up the majority of gym regulars and despite overhearing what I heard, my excitement for all the newcomers is still there and growing! And remember, going to the gym is not always a requirement to meet your goals! There are plenty of alternatives to the gym if adding exercise is part of your resolution as well as the option to solely focus on diet and nutrition.

Stay strong this year friends! Never let anyone put you down for wanting to better yourself.

:)

submitted by /u/itchytastyfriend
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2rYQNAa

No comments:

Post a Comment