Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Anyone else experience this kind of dysmorphia?

Hello! I'm a 5'2 24F from the PNW who has an interesting weight loss story and an interesting problem to go with it.

Basically, I have never worried about my weight. I've been thick and kind of stumpy my entire life, and I generally have an attitude of "as long as I can do what I need to, the number doesn't matter." I was about 310lbs at the start of 2020, in part because I had horrible depression and never really moved. Thanks to stress, dental issues, and other things, my weight was trickling down throughout the year, and in November I was about 305.

Then I got horribly, deathly ill. It wasn't COVID, I was far less lucky than that. It was a very rare allergic reaction and I still have scars on my hands and feet where the skin began to blister from it. But the main thing that happened was this reaction messed with my metabolism or something, and so I had an initial large loss of about 20lbs in the month of November, from being sick, but then it continued. Now I am taking a medication that has a noted appetite suppression side effect, and my weight seems to have stabilized at around 245. I have not really encouraged or discouraged any of it, and I joke to my partner that taking a bunch of weight off me was the universe's apology for almost killing me with anti-anxiety meds!

Doctors don't comment to me about my weight anymore and I can wear (large) standard size clothes again, but it isn't all good. I have this weird thing that I think is related to dysmorphia, where I notice I can feel a bone through my skin that I couldn't before or I look in the mirror and can see my jawline when I never used to be able to, and I just feel uncomfortable. I have read about weight loss dysmorphia before, but those sources all say that the main issue with it is that even looking in a mirror, you can't tell you've lost the weight. My issue is that I absolutely can tell, and it's sometimes distressing to me.

Is it because of the reasons/methods through which I lost the weight? The fact I was never actively trying to? Is this just how the dysmorphia manifests in some people? I don't know. Has anyone else experienced this at all?

submitted by /u/iggysmice
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/Y1SjOz5

No comments:

Post a Comment