Friday, August 11, 2023

How I lost 30kg in 6 months

I feel great about my weight loss progress. It feels very good to shed some of the weight that was forced on me by starvation trauma. I do realize 30kg is a wee bit more than one should lose in that timespan, but I really went ham at first which helped kickstart me. Not that I recommend doing unhealthy things. Slow progress is best in my opinion.

  1. Adding to my morning routine. I already had a morning routine for a full year to help myself, so adding a bit more to it was not difficult. My therapist recommend just a few sit-ups and pushups and I've kept at it.
  2. Walking every single morning. I started with 2 minutes per day before my weight loss began and gradually increased it to 1.5 hours. I walked for the first 100 days of my diet without missing a day. This is part of my morning routine now, and I've noticed a huge difference. I sleep for fewer hours and get more rest from it, I'm happier and I have more energy. I haven't even taken 30 minute naps outside of days where the weather is bad. Bad weather affects me due to chronic inflammation.
  3. I started with calorie restriction. 1600kcal per day was my goal.
  4. I changed strategies after hitting a plateau and being reminded of the zigzag diet by a friend. I now eat a different amount of calories each day, with the theory being my body keeps its 2000kcal metabolism even on days I eat 1000kcal. On average I aim for 1500kcal or more per day since that is the bare minimum I should eat. I consider setting my average to 1600kcal, but so far I have no signs of being malnourished.
  5. I made a spreadsheet where I log my food and it tallies up my weekly calories, and then it tallies up 4 weeks at a time into monthly kcal totals. Sure it's not perfectly aligned with a 365 day calendar year, but it's good enough.
  6. I see my doctor every 6-8 weeks for blood tests due to an injection I take and he visually has a look at me and weighs me. He said he likes to see the weight loss progress in person and he said my progress was amazing and praised me which really lifted me.
  7. I used my therapist as an accountability partner, and I talk to 4 friends about it to get encouragement. Like a weekly recap so I don't spam them.
  8. I've been just standing at a local lake and taking in nature. Sometimes I just breathe in the good air and admire nature. Other times I feed the ducks, geese and crows some berries or peas or bananas (if I don't finish my breakfast banana).
  9. I found foods that help me adjust my kcal intake in small amounts. Early on I was a huge fan of 70% dark chocolate and dried peaches. I've gotten really tired of them now, but just having 4 small squares of choco or 2 pieces of dried peaches would sate my hunger for a good while. I keep 200kcal yogurts in the fridge and 100kcal muslibars on my counter. I'd rather be 50kcal over my goal than 50 below it so these muslibars are great on days where I don't feel like dark chocolate or peaches.

That's about all I did. I really doubt I will ever get to the green BMI zone, but my doctor said I should aim for being fat either way. I became morbidly obese while eating 2100kcal per day after all, so unless I become able to walk even more than 90 minutes per day I'll probably stay a little chubs, and that's fine.

submitted by /u/Ash_is_my_name
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/mRVIbFr

No comments:

Post a Comment