Sunday, August 6, 2023

Struggle with self discipline and consistency

SW: 213lbs, CW: 197lbs. Hello all, I F18 need advice that will help me with disciplining myself and being consistent with my calorie deficit and also exercise. I started actually trying to lose weight in March of this year, after being overweight since I was about 9, half of my life. I have lost roughly a stone since March, maintaining since April basically. I’m aiming to lose about 70lbs OR whenever I am satisfied, but it will definitely be somewhere within a healthy bmi range.

I am trying to be consistent with my cal deficit of -500 for 6 days a week and at maintenance cals for 1 day. I’m getting little to no exercise at the moment, only really when I’m running occasional errands a couple times a week. I’ve had gym memberships in the past but I can genuinely only go if I’m going on the way back from work or something, so it’s convenient, rather than just going there and back. I’m waiting to start work again (hopefully this month) before I return to the gym otherwise I’ll just be wasting my money.

It’s worth adding I grew up in a family where any type of discipline was basically non-existent, so I’m naturally not good at disciplining myself. Probably also worth adding I’m very likely on the spectrum which makes things harder anyway, if you know, you know.

I’m very aware that with weight loss (especially with how much I’d like to lose) that patience, as well as consistency and motivation are musts in order to be successful. With my deficit, which I’m struggling to stick with (not necessarily the number of calories, I just keep wanting unhealthy high calorie foods). I’ve realised recently I definitely must binge eat to an extent which would make sense, but I didn’t really realise it before.

Even if I was consistent with a cal deficit (-500 for 6 days, at maintainable cals for 1), I would lose just under a pound a week. Of course, this is better than nothing. But if I want to lose 70lbs, that’s quite slow. I’m not trying to “finish” my weight loss journey before a certain date, but the sooner the better. Ideally, I’d like to lose 2lbs a week or 7/8lbs a month with a cal deficit and exercise. I’d limit myself to losing no more than 2lbs a week because I’d like to avoid loose skin as much as I can and I don’t want to be too harsh on my body as it’s likely gonna be a shock if I lose too fast. I’ve also heard hair loss can be a fairly common issue for some and I really don’t want that. Btw I am aware I’m gonna have some loose skin/ stretch marks and I am fine with it, but if I can end up with less, then I’m going to do whatever it takes for that :).

I completely 100% believe I am capable of achieving the weight I want. Comparing progress pics, I can see small changes, even sometimes in the mirror or even in my face. If you’ve lost weight after struggling for a long time, it’s very rewarding. Believing in myself is not really the issue, it’s just more consistency and disciplining myself. The other day I consumed 1500 cals which is my daily goal, but I ruined it by eating like 500/600 calories worth of chocolate in the evening, which I actually went to buy. It doesn’t help that the supermarkets have the deals which I’m so easily tempted by but I always try and get my moneys worth, or I’ll just “buy one today, have one tomorrow” which never happens. I think I’m too relaxed with myself as I’ll also just tell myself “I can get back on track tomorrow” which is obviously true, but I’m not making any progress.

I have heard about people having essentially a weight loss reward scheme to motivate them, so I have created one, every 5lbs I lose (from now) I’ll be rewarded with something from my list. I would suggest this idea to anyone who is struggling with consistency!

I think one of the main things is that although I understand I can’t wake up and be x lbs lighter, I just want immediate results. But whilst I’m not with a gym and getting much exercise, it will be even slower, which is probably why I’m not as motivated to actually make the effort to try harder/ stick with my deficit. I feel stupid for not taking advantage of home workouts but in my mind they won’t make much difference.

Sorry there’s so much written, any advice or anything that’s unobvious but is such a ‘hack’ is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

submitted by /u/Distinct-Clerk4921
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/PRKmv0o

No comments:

Post a Comment