Wednesday, September 13, 2023

I’ve gotten to the point where my mom is sabotaging my weight loss.

My mom has been overweight since giving birth to me. She’s crash dieted several times throughout her life never with success. She’s at least 230-250lbs I’d guess but she claims she’s 195.

I’ve always had issues with food and body image because of how she raised me to fear fat but also yelling at me that it’s my fault that I’m fat and I just need to have more self control and exercise more (she’s projecting big time). She moralizes food and fatness all the time without realizing it. She has zero understanding of nutrition and her idea of a “diet” is the Atkins low-carb bacon-only diet which she only sticks with for 2 weeks before giving up. Her idea of a workout is a 20 minute aerobics video which would do NIL for me. I could eat those calories back with half a cookie. She thinks calories don’t matter and it’s all about cutting out all carbs.

So suffice to say I know that she is not a reliable source of information and I should actually celebrate her criticisms because if she disagrees it probably means I’m doing something right lol.

Anyways I lost a lot of weight at 18 from taking up biking as a hobby. She celebrated me getting skinny but also pressured me to eat ice cream and cookie dough and hamburgers and fries every time I see her (she still does this EVERY TIME). Major cognitive dissonance. I think she subconsciously hates the idea of me not struggling with weight anymore because it means we won’t have that in common. Plus it means she can’t blame genetics.

Over the years I slowly put the weight back on and then some from food delivery during the pandemic plus a series of sedentary jobs. Finally I hit the peak last year when I was 215lbs (at 5’2” that’s morbidly obese). So I started walking 15k steps daily for several months, intermittent fasting and lost about 20lbs on my own before I decided to start semaglutide (not the same formulation as ozempic fyi). Since then I’ve gotten down to 155 but my goal weight is 130-140, and I would still be in the upper end of healthy at that weight. Even now at 155 (still overweight) my mom says I’m “skinny” and need to stop losing weight (she also doesn’t know about the semaglutide). She continues to sabotage me every time I visit. Luckily she’s moving away soon so I won’t have to deal with it for long.

Also I’m going to start lifting and eating more protein so I can also be fit and toned. Right now I’m definitely flabby.

She thinks going to the gym and building muscle is “unnatural” for women and the goal should simply be to stay skinny and small (gotta love the 1950s boomer mentality 🙄)

Just wanted to share this unconventional non-scale victory— losing the support of our closest family because they’re threatened when they see us making positive changes. Yay!

submitted by /u/fastinggrl
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/1KeFrN0

No comments:

Post a Comment