Thursday, September 21, 2023

Tips for a maintaining a healthy long-term weight loss mindset?

I've recently begun my (long overdue) weight-loss journey. I'm a 5'1 23-year-old woman, and almost fainted when I looked at the scale for the first time in a couple of years and saw that I'd climbed up to 290 POUNDS just from letting go a bit for my first year and a half of moving out on my own. Needless to say, my weight was far worse than it was the last time I checked it. I'd been suspecting for some time that I'd been gaining weight, but sheesh.

I've always struggled with my weight, because I honestly just think that I'm inclined to gain it relatively easily if I don't watch what I eat, and in spite of inherently disliking soda and most chips/various junk food snacks, I still really love my carby sweet pastries and pastas. The mortifying atrocity of being 180 pounds over what is considered healthy for my height has nonetheless forced me to accept that I just don't currently have the metabolism to be as lax about what I eat as I have been, and for a month now have been very strictly dieting, exercising etc. and have so far lost around 8 pounds.

...Yay.

I do immediately feel far more energized and physically happy than I have in years, so I think my body's thanking me for these changes, and that alone is pretty motivating. Unfortunately, since I have, uh, an entire person's worth of excess fat that I really want to burn as fast as possible, it's difficult to not feel like I'm not losing it fast enough. Even though I'm technically making progress, I can't shake the incredible guilt I feel at letting it get this bad. I didn't even think that I ate that poorly before this, but that initial number still really haunts me. It might always haunt me. I still don't really feel better when I see the scale fall down a measly pound or two, because the amount of weight I apparently need to lose is so immense. I'm still in panic mode, I guess, and sometimes it's really tempting to cut it all down to 900 calories a day or something just to make this happen faster.

I know that's really bad for you, so I do what I can to drown out those voices. Are there any other people here that have been in a place where they've begun their large-scale weight loss lifestyle changes, and had to come to terms with their decisions as they did so? Does anyone have any advice on the emotional impact of something like this, and being patient with the inherently gradual nature of healthy and sustainable weight loss even when they needed to lose a LOT?

submitted by /u/theoxidantspaceship
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/pRiZOdy

No comments:

Post a Comment