Monday, September 25, 2023

weight loss is not the end. mental health is just as, if not more important

6 years ago i was in a bad place both physically and mentally. dont wanna end up trauma dumping but my inability to face problems stemming from my upbringing made me really depressed and when that happens you let yourself go.

i decided to lose weight and through sheer anger towards someone i really should not have been angry towards, for a reason i should not have been angry for, made me lose 20+ kgs.

i was fit. (probably) attractive. people treated me better. i inspired people. but those mental issues and blocks that were always there, were not dealt with. i was a leaky house that had a new paint job, but the framing inside were still rotten.

so when i encountered another issue in my life that i could not foresee myself dealing with, i fell back into depression and gained back all the weight and more. looking back it really wasnt that big of an issue. but my mind couldnt handle it and i went to fast food as my solace.

and it was not until maybe 2 years ago that i realized what was wrong. i had to self reflect on what had happened, what my mindset is, to gain the confidence that i never had. find what was the root of my problems, and begin to take steps towards self improvement.

im down 20 kgs from my heaviest now, but i still have 20 to go, but my view on it is a lot more positive. im losing weight for the same person, but now its for a different reason. my mind has changed, for the better.

i probably should have seen a shrink 15 years ago, but asians look at mental health the same way they look at failure, so that wasn't really an option back then.

what im trying to say is that weight issues are often tied to mental issues, and while losing weight often does help with those mental issues, often you need to solve the mental issues first or you'll rebound right back

i highly suggest reading these two chapters of this manga. it really resonated with me. its about a fat girl who was made fun of, had no friends, and had basically given up on herself and on life. the first chapter is about realizing you can change yourself outward, but the second chapter is realizing that you also have to change yourself inward. i only wish i had taken this to heart a few years ago when i first read the first chapter.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/3a2eda25-6fa8-4c32-ac4c-efb3a5387782

https://mangadex.org/chapter/4ab39265-6015-479f-8be8-3fddd3f0aca7

submitted by /u/cromatkastar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/8wadegp

No comments:

Post a Comment