Saturday, November 4, 2023

Can’t seem to lose weight, giving up hope that it’ll ever happen

I’m a 5’9, 31 year old male. Several years ago I gained a ton of weight (70 pounds) from Prozac, going from 160 to 232 pounds. I got off prozac and have gone down to as low as 179 but it’s been years now and I cannot get rid of those last ~20 pounds.

I’ve tried exercise- I love to work out and typically will lift or run 2-3x a week. I can’t seem to stay consistent though no matter what and I’ve been trying for a while. I have been very busy with applying to medical school but I think I’m just being weak and undisciplined; ie not going to bed on time so I end up too tired to wake up early and lift. There’s a discipline problem there and I don’t know how to fix it.

I’ve tried altering my diet - but even when I have good weeks I tend to ruin it by something ignorant like eating a large quesadilla and chips and guac at my favorite local Mexican spot after a long day/week of work. Even when I’ve been at my most consistent with the diet, I still have more than 20 pounds to lose to get to my pre-Prozac weight. Lowest I’ve gotten to is about 179. I’m currently around 187 again.

I’m starting to feel like I am just incapable of achieving my goal and that I should accept that I will never again be at a healthy weight. But there is something within me that resists this. I still believe that I can achieve my goal if I set my mind to it. But I also want to achieve permanent weight loss; I want to build a more healthy relationship with food and keep the weight off for good.

However, what the hell else can I do to achieve my goal? I live alone in an area where I don’t have a lot of friends so I can’t rely on a gym buddy. A lot of it is discipline/motivational; how can I ensure I follow through on my workout and diet routine even when it feels like it would be soooo nice to sleep in or eat Mexican food?

Please share your success stories of how you overcame this lack of discipline, or perhaps it’s another issue?

submitted by /u/Pure_Ambition
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/o12Fwhq

No comments:

Post a Comment