Sunday, January 9, 2022

Will the hunger ever go away?

My whole life I’ve been overweight, but I recently come dangerously close to being obese. I made a decision to change how I eat and cut out most sugars and processed foods. Instead of completely eliminating sugar and carbs, I made healthy swaps that I knew I could maintain long term. Fruit instead of candy, dark chocolate instead of milk, rye instead of naan.

I lost nearly ten pounds in about a month, but then I hit a plateau. The next step seemed to be counting calories. I lowered my calorie intake by about 500 from what I need to maintain my weight.

Since I started counting calories again I am SO hungry. It’s only been about a week, but I’m worried that my weight’s “set point” means that in order to lose and maintain weight loss I will have to deal with being hungry all the time, for the rest of my life.

I want to put in the work. I want to improve my health. I want to FEEL better. But I don’t know if I can stand feeling hungry and thinking about food constantly for the rest of my life, just to reach my goal weight and keep off an extra 20 pounds.

I don’t plan on going back to eating junk food (apart from a treat here and there) because I feel SO much better without it. I think my insulin levels are finally normalizing. I even tried low carb recently as an experiment to see if it helps my insulin and blood sugar further. But, I don’t know if there is any point in actively trying to lose more weight than I already have, even though I want it more than anything.

I am tired of seeing articles saying that long term weight loss is “near impossible”. I am tired of being called fatphobic just because I want to feel better in my body. I am tired, tired, tired.

I would really like to hear from some of you who have lost weight and managed to keep it off for more than a couple of years. Will the hunger ever go away?

Edit: I should mention I’m also a pescatarian. I used to be a vegetarian but I felt like I wasn’t getting enough protein. I eat fish 1-3 times a week. Eating low carb + mostly vegetarian is really, really hard. I’ll probably gradually increase my carbs to around 120 complex carbs or so a day once I reach my goals.

submitted by /u/Pistolf
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3n5ZVfp

No comments:

Post a Comment