Saturday, May 13, 2023

F29 / 203lbs - Losing weight with a thyroid disease

I'm just kind of at a loss here. I'm F29, and I've had two waves of thyroid issues since I was 16.

The first time, I gained 15 kilos in a couple of months. I was never overweight as a child despite the classic French diet of my parents (so. Much. Butter.), but after I had gained that weight, it took me years to get rid of it. Once I've started losing weight "naturally" with a balanced thyroid, I felt encouraged by it and went back to doing sports, cardio (I had stopped when my thyroid was tiring me too much), watch my meals etc. I've never counted calories because it has never been necessary, but I do want to point out something important - I became a judgy b*tch about food. I was judging my parents diet (even though they were not overweight, just French and eating a lot of cheese, charcuterie and meat cooked in tons of butter), I was judging everyone around me really, I was strict, I was annoying, I hated every minute spend at the gym (I found enw activities I prefer since then) I was always hungry, though, and that probably made me even nastier because of how miserable it was. I really don't want to become that person again.

Then I realized my mistake and worked on building a more balanced relationship with food. I gained some of the kilos I had lost, but my weight then is what I consider the right one for me and lasted for several years and in several countries with very different food, and no problem until...

The second wave.

It took me a while to get diagnosed because I was living in another country during covid and didn't go to the doctors early enough. And I didn't have a scale (yes that's stupid). By the time I was, I had gained 15 kilos compared to the healthy weight I had been keeping for several years.

I have Hashimoto's disease, something completely different than my first thyroid issues, and I'm officially balanced. My results are normal although on the higher half of the range (= I am closer to hypothyroism, which makes you gain weight, but not in hypothyroism). But, they're normal.

... And yet I've gained 10 more kilos since then at a very rapid rate. I now am at 92kg/203lbs.

I have been seeing a therapist / dietician to help me clear up my meals and build healthy habits slowly and safely compared to my own history of weight loss, I follow her instructions and measures, but it's been going on for 3 months and I really haven't lost much. And it was in the first week. Since then, I have been staying at the same consistent weight no matter what, even when I screwed up my measures and ate 1/3 of the carbs portions I were supposed to for a week. I thought with me being more than overweight, it would be easy at first and hard later... But it just seems impossible from the beginning and its extremely discouraging.

I'm not really looking for advices on the diet itself because my dietician knows the details way more than I could explain here and I will make sure on my next appointment to talk things out with her and see if we need to be stricter, if I'm doing things right etc, but my question is:

People who have a treatment for hashimoto disease and are balanced as far as the thyroid go, is it ever going to get better? Do I just have to wait until something clicks in my body the way it did the first time, or is it going to be hard for ever no matter what? Or I am just making excuses in my head and my diet is probably the issue?

submitted by /u/Lukhmi
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/L4bqIRa

No comments:

Post a Comment