Friday, May 12, 2023

If you can’t motivate yourself for a run, here‘s my tip

A few years ago, when I was lighter and overall more active, I loved to run. I had no issues going for an 1h run 5x a week. Then I started boxing and our warmup was jumping rope. I developed a tendinitis in my ankle, because of jumping rope and had to pause for a couple of weeks. I wasn’t able to walk properly at all. I think we all been there: the more weeks pass without us being active, the more we tend to get lazy. Even after my recovery I wasn’t longer motivated to move my body and all of a sudden two years have passed, but I wasn’t active at all.

Certainly I gained weight, because I continued to eat big portions, though I wasn’t doing any exercise anymore to maintain my weight. I now wanted to start running again and I‘m shocked about the amount of fitness and stamina I‘ve lost since I stopped running. I‘m using C25K to build up my stamina and muscles to go for longer runs again, but often times I can’t motivate myself to put on my running shoes and start. I‘m working in an office and most of the time I‘m just sitting. Sitting at work, at the train, at home - I have less movement than any doctor would recommend.

Here‘s my tip for anyone who’s struggles with enough movement and lacks motivation to run. Everyday after work I tell myself: you‘re just going for a walk. But instead of wearing jeans or so, I put on my running shoes and sports clothing. I then go for a walk for about 40min, sometimes I feel so energised and motivated just because I‘m walking, that I decide to run home the last km instead of walking. I don’t need to force myself and I can decide if I‘m feeling comfortable enough to run. I‘m trying to do this at least 2-3 times a week and my stamina improved so much in only 2 weeks. It‘s just important to give yourself enough recovery.

Running is uncomfortable for beginners and even the beginning of C25K was hard for me. I felt less motivated, because who wants to do things, that feel unpleasant. But I tricked my brain into a „it’s just a walk“-thinking and I became more consistent with exercise.

Another thing that I would recommend for iOS users is the Apple Fitness App. I set myself a daily goal of how many calories I want to burn. I took the amount of calories it takes to burn to go for a 40min walk. It’s nice to be reminded of your consistency and you can even start little battles with your friends and see who burned more calories by walking (who took longer or more walks). I think this is a good way to start your overall movement and become active in general. You don’t need any equipment and it makes weight loss much easier. I tend to eat more, when I’m exercising and had problems to keep my caloric deficit in the past. Walking keeps you active enough and in addition makes you burn more calories, without increasing your hunger, because it‘s less tiring than lifting weights or running.

submitted by /u/phoenixmo
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/bCqJ9GU

No comments:

Post a Comment