Saturday, February 22, 2020

Big life change at 48. Would really love some insight.

48 mom of two teens. Been overweight my entire life, never liked exercising. Hated the bouncy-bounce of jiggly parts when running. Felt intimidated by everyone and everything related to gyms and pools.

The last 3 years have been more stressful than i could have ever predicted. My alcoholic partner quit drinking after 25yrs, and I'm incredibly proud of him. But its not easy to live with someone getting sober. My son has severe depression, has been on suicide watch for about a year. My daughter recently came out as bi, so trying to support her as much as possible, and help her understand what's going on with her brother. My job is at a high level of stress and responsibility that i cant get into here. Plus there is a pile of other family crap happening.

So on December 9 2019 i went to the gym for the first time. I had been kicking the idea around as a way to motivate and support my daughter. But after a ridiculously shitty day at work, i thought "fuck it im going". So i held my head up, walked in and got on the elliptical. Did 30 min. Walked out. I felt great! The stress was gone. I felt empowered. Strong. Proud. I went back three more days that week.

Since that first day I've been going to the gym 4 to 7 days a week. Some days i do strength training followed by 30min on the elliptical. Other days i do 30min on the treadmill followed by some strength training. I can lift\press increasingly more weight. My cardio is steady.

To be very clear, it is stress relief and empowerment that keeps me going back. But some weight loss would be nice. In fact it would awesome. Why am i not losing? Ah, you are probably asking what i eat. Too many carbs for sure. But according to my partner and friends, I don't over eat. No American portions here. Veggies, fruit, protein, grains.

I would love a bit of insight, advice, encouragement, and laughs!

submitted by /u/oneofeach1016
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/32ntE8m

No comments:

Post a Comment