Saturday, January 1, 2022

To everyone starting their weight loss journey today

Happy new year!

I realize that a lot of people decide on the new year to begin their weight loss journey, and that's great! But, I'd just like to say, please don't make weight loss the only thing that you focus on. I thought once I lost weight, I'd have this perfect life, and everything would just set into place for me.

While there are many benefits to weight loss, it can become addicting. Seeing progress both in the mirror and on the scale can be a great feeling, and one that will intensify with every goal weight you reach. I made the mistake of obsessing over weight loss, and not working on anything else about myself. This led to an eating disorder, and I lost 95 lbs in 3 months, going from 270 to 175. Please do not do this.

I realize that this advice is given a lot, not to loss weight too fast, but my advice is to not make it your only priority when trying to change yourself for the better. I made the mistake of thinking the only thing wrong in my life was my weight, which is far from true.

I dropped all the weight 2 years ago, and have kept it off since, but my life has never been worse. I won't go into details, but the obsession over weight loss has had me completely ignore my mental health. Losing weight is great for a variety of reasons, but please, pay attention to how you are really feeling on the inside, and address it before, during, and after you lose weight. I was riding the highs of the weight loss, that amazing feeling, which had me convince myself that my mental health was fine, because when I hit my next goal weight, nothing else mattered.

I wish I had taken the time to stop and self reflect, and address deeper issues which led to my weight issues to begin with. I didn't deal with those issues, instead I suppressed them and didn't seek any help or guidance, because I was getting thinner.

The first day you hit that final goal weight, you will be so thrilled. So proud of yourself. But, further down the line, when you've been maintaining the weight for so long that it just becomes "normal", deeper issues that you may have may resurface.

I just don't want anyone to do the things I did. Losing weight at an alarming rate, obsessing over weight loss, and ignoring what was really going on inside my head. Im just now being proactive in trying to address deeper issues I have, but I wish I had done that all throughout the process.

Sorry for the long post, and I know this won't resonate with every single person, but to those of you who may be in a similar situation I was in, please self reflect and make sure there isn't something deeper to work on in yourself as well as weight loss. I just don't want to see anyone be as low as I am right now.

Please be safe, have a happy 2022, and good luck on your journeys!

submitted by /u/bluetiger9298
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3EMKhLY

No comments:

Post a Comment