Wednesday, July 26, 2023

How do I tell my wife I want to start losing weight when I don't think she'll be supportive?

I'm going to try to keep this brief. My wife has some odd beliefs about weight, including that it's not possible to lose weight and keep it off and that being obese is not bad for your health. It's something we've agreed to disagree on. Weight in general is a sensitive topic for her as she is in long term recovery from an eating disorder, so we don't talk about it. I have tried to mention wanting to make some lifestyle changes for myself at different times and she has told me she doesn't think I need to lose weight. She doesn't even believe I've gained weight, even though I'm about 50 pounds heavier than when we met 10 years ago. (I was already about 20 pounds overweight back then, so I have about 70 pounds I'd ideally like to lose).

But regardless of what my wife thinks, I want to start making some changes to improve my health and I've set up a doctor's appointment to get started. What I don't know how to do is tell my wife about it. I honestly don't need her to be supportive. I feel confident doing it independently from her, but I can't secretly make a bunch of lifestyle changes. Even if I could, I wouldn't feel right keeping a secret from her. She's my wife and my best friend, so I do feel the need to at least make her aware, if not have a long conversation about it. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How can I bring this up while being sensitive to her feelings on weight loss?

submitted by /u/Horror-Knowledge-441
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/GY6MT9F

No comments:

Post a Comment