Tuesday, July 25, 2023

What am I getting wrong about fat loss?

Howdy! I’ll try to keep this as short as possible.

F27 5’6 SW: 165 CW: 140 GW: 140 Starting BF%: 37 Current BF%: 34

Starting this January, I set a goal to get back to a healthy BMI before a major surgery I had in June. Happy to report that was accomplished! But I’m slightly perplexed about how little my body fat percentage has changed, and I was wondering if there’s anything I’m doing wrong or failing to consider.

I weightlift 4x a week, run 2x a week, eat about 1600 calories a day and shoot for 100 grams of protein minimum. Make sure to get 10,000 steps and 100 oz of water in per day. I have a pretty typical omnivorous diet, and although I’m pretty careful about limiting dairy and carbs where I can, I don’t eliminate them entirely.

I did a DEXA scan halfway through my 6 month period back in March - down about 15 pounds, but only down 2 BF % points.

For the next 3 months, I hit it hard and was the most consistent with my exercise and diet I’ve ever been in my life. Felt great, and was VERY excited to get my next DEXA - was happy to see the next 10 pounds come off, but was disappointed to see that I was only down another 1% BF.

Coupled with my BF% concern is the fact that despite my relatively significant weight loss, I’ve also lost very few inches off my body. Barely 3 total off the waist. While there have been minor changes, I’m surprised at how similar my new body looks like my 25 pound heavier one, with very persistent pockets of fat around my lower belly and hips. I read a lot of people’s posts about losing inches but not pounds, but I seem to have the exact opposite problem!

Is that 3% BF change with 25 pound weight loss on par, or low? I read so much conflicting information on that ratio.

Ideally, I’d like to reduce my BF to at least 30%, and I’m trying to figure out if I have a time or approach issue. Is it feasible to expect additional body fat % reduction with what I’m doing now, and just need more time - or do I need to change my approach entirely?

I have obviously plateaued now that I’m at my goal weight, so I’ll be shifting into a maintenance plan and possible recomp - but I’m hoping some answers to this can inform that plan and allow me to tackle last remaining goal of reducing my BF%.

Thanks so much for any insight!

submitted by /u/vuduma
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/gaX76rC

No comments:

Post a Comment