Thursday, July 20, 2023

Scared to quit smoking due to potential weight gain.

34, F. I started my weight loss journey on June 10th and have managed to reduce 6 kilos (SW: 184 pounds, CW: 170, GW: 143, height: 5'6/168 cm). I have been overweight all my life due to my own birth complications, hormonal issues and an extremely abusive childhood. It doesn't take much for me to gain weight and is extremely hard to lose. However I started taking care of my diet and physical activity around 13 years back. While I came down from the obese category, i have been my SW since the last decade.

I am so proud of myself for having resolved all my childhood trauma, have a wonderful partner and financial stability. However, addiction runs very deeply in my family. My paternal family is addicted to alcohol, and my maternal side is addicted to sweets. My brother and I have become addicted to smoking. I started in 2019. And I just can't stop. I can easily finish a pack a day. I bought nicotine patches, joined online support groups, apps, nothing worked. Plus smoking really helped me suppress my appetite as well.

This year's blood report was a wake up call. I have extremely high inflammation in my body amongst other things. ADHD, bipolar 3, chronic anxiety, being a high school teacher - my only relief has been to smoke. Now I finally took the plunge and enrolled under a nutritionist and she is encouraging me every week to stop smoking. With all the healthy changes I am making in my life, it's so beautiful to see the numbers drop after a decade. But the inability to stop smoking overshadows everything. And one of my biggest excuse is - what if I stop smoking and gain all of this weight back, not just the past month's but the last decade's? What if my metabolism decreases?

I desperately need to know how leaving smoking affected your weight loss journey?

  • a person trying to take back control
submitted by /u/Moist-Tear5351
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/f3KcCTX

No comments:

Post a Comment