Sunday, October 18, 2020

Anyone else feel weird at times about being congratulated on weight loss?

I lost a lot of weight recently (from 198 lbs to 129 lbs) and I feel very weird when I'm congratulated on it.

No one congratulated as much on graduating from college, from grad school, or from securing an amazing job in an amazing industry.

No congrats for working at the frontlines from when the COVID pandemic just hit.

Nothing on volunteering. Nothing on pulling myself out of living by my bootstraps under the poverty line. Nothing about how I was once a cashier at Target, and how I once lived in a car, and I'm now a successful tech consultant.

It's so weird. What if I lost all this weight from a terminal illness?

I know I'll probably get some comments telling me to deal with it and that men and society care more about a woman's weight than anything else, but still.

It makes me sad cause at the end of my marriage my exMIL implied that my weight was the reason for bad treatment from my ex-husband. She ignored everything else about me and would brag about how she was 125 at 5'4" on her wedding day. How I would always be cooking out of love to make sure there was a homecooked meal out of the table (even though my ex never appreciated it and ate outside anyways). How I would contribute financially to keep the bills paid. How I never cheated on her son. How I excelled in my career and volunteer efforts.

I am very grateful that I lost all of this weight, but I'm not sure how to deal with it. I also want to make sure that it doesn't get to my head because it seems like being thinner and fitter allows people to have license to treat others like crap and get away with it (i.e. my exBIL and his SO- they'd make a ton of fat jokes aimed at me and my ex-husband).

I just have a very difficult time accepting these congratulations. I can barely get myself to say "thank you" because I am so angry at how I was treated when I was heavier.

submitted by /u/datasorceress
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/359K5Xp

No comments:

Post a Comment