Sunday, September 10, 2023

Helping my mom start a diet

My mom has always struggled to lose weight and has started and stopped numerous times over the last few years. She’ll get really motivated and stop 2-3 weeks later. She’ll start off super strong and then fizzle out. I know it happens to the best of us. She’s quite short and she’s in her 70s. I plugged in her stats into a typical weigh loss calculator (online tools), and most say 1,200-1,300 daily calories.

Is that amount okay for daily consumption for a while? I always thought calories should be above 1,500 as a baseline, but that might be outdated.

She’s had success prior with counting “points” on WW, but I’m not sure it’s the best for her. She’ll always say “I don’t have to count this”, for example if she was eating fruit.

I told her it’s very simple. Just track the calories in a fitness app like MFP, and time will show results. She says it’s too much work / time to add / log everything, but I’ve told her it’s super easy (I do it daily, especially if you tend to eat the same foods).

What have you found works best for your parents that struggle?

She keeps mentioning various types of “diets” but I believe they are just ways of eating rather than actual weight loss diets. Such as the “Mediterranean” diet or the “Galveston” diet.

submitted by /u/acuransxfan
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/N4dSiAs

No comments:

Post a Comment