Thursday, September 7, 2023

I posted a before and after of my weight loss on a website and everyone was arguing about how BMI is bullshit. Apparently everyone on that thread is an outlier to BMI

Thought I’d rant here. Stats, 5’8”, current weight is 157. Bmi 24. I lost about 25 lbs, so starting weight was 182.

173 cm, 82.5 to 71 kg for the non-Americans.

So, I decide to post my before and after, mentioning my current BMI, stating how I did it was standard CICO, I gained weight in a relationship after a lifetime of being normal/average (for a period I was underweight, and I have actually struggled with EDs such as yeet what you eat) and now I’ve lost weight again in a normal fashion, which I’m glad about.

So, my BMI is 24. I mention this naively. I mention I do want to lose up to 25 lbs, which I know I can do.

Everyone was telling me I shouldn’t lose more weight, that bmi was made for white males and that it “obviously doesn’t apply” in my case. I’m a woman, and I’m mixed race.

Ok, just because you carry weight in a non-visibly horrible manner, doesn’t mean it’s ideal to be overweight or borderline.

A lot of “thick” women are medically overweight or obese. Doesn’t mean they look bad, but overweight us a lot smaller than what people think it is.

Sure having most of your weight around your midsection is worse for your health than having it in your legs or butt, but you know what’s even better? Being a medically healthy weight.

If you are not a bodybuilder, BMI likely is a perfectly fine tool to know where you’re supposed to be at. I am not a bodybuilder. Active, yes. Bodybuilder. No.

I have somewhat thicker legs. Yes, I can afford to lose more weight. To the people arguing that it doesn’t apply to me, I’m a woman with an average body type in respects to my background. “Women of color” (I hated typing that) are not naturally overweight. JFC.

There are plenty of skinny “WOC” around the world, I see them everyday. They haven’t dropped dead yet.

Secondly, the BMI is already adjusted for outliers, such as some East Asian populations. If anything, BMI can actually underscore obesity within a population, not overdiagnose it. As far as know, bmi works fine for me.

It’s kind of concerning how many people think they’re an outlier to bmi. Even if you’re somewhat muscular, the strain of extra body weight on your bones is not good in the long term. And then people were talking about how if they were a healthy BMI, they’d be skeletal.

Sure Jan. My mom is actually what you’d call big boned, meaning she has legitimately a wide ribcage and shoulders. She’s always been a medically healthy weight. She just has lower body fat at a bmi of 21 instead of the same amount at 19.

There are variations in healthy BMI, sure, not everyone should have a 19 BMI, but big boned people tend to stay within that range if they are healthy anyways.

There’s nothing concerning about an averagely built woman wanting to reach a 20 bmi. There simply isn’t anything wrong with that.

Just thought I’d rant.

submitted by /u/steakforchicken567
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3vQcXJx

No comments:

Post a Comment