Sunday, May 19, 2024

How to deal with weight gain shame?

Hey fellow redditors..

First time posting here. Sorry if I miss any guidelines or so.

My weight has fluctuated all my life, two years before COVID hit, I managed to lose a significant amount of weight without dieting just by establishing a different lifestyle. I added lots of veggies, focussed on fiber especially and got into weightlifting and walking. It felt natural and unforced. I was happy with my body for the first time in three decades. COVID really messed with that, but I managed best I could and only fluctuated maybe 10 pounds, which I was OK with.

For two years I have had enourmous stress both at work and in my private life and I have gradually gained maybe 30/35 pounds and completely dropped out of my weight lifting routine. I still walk a lot and I have a physical job, I do at least 15000 steps a day without trying. But I have a tendency to stress eat and coupled with a massive chronic lack of sleep I have been over eating and not had any energy left for going to the gym.

I had a couple of social events coming up and I have nothing to wear except for stretchy clothes and work clothes. I ended up skipping a big social event not only for that reason but for the main reason I am posting here. I am deeply ashamed of gaining this weight and not being able to change my lifestyle to lose it naturally again. I have been trying to go back to the gym and started to be more aware of when I am stress eating and changing that. Still, I cannot get back to my routine of lifting weights for 2 hours three times a week like I used to. I feel exhausted all the time. I wake up tired and without energy. Whatever energy I have left, I use to at least have a bit of a social life, as my work is very demanding with long hours and weekends worked often.

I am so frustrated, I feel like I cannot win here. And I am so ashamed of how I look. I dread meeting people who have not seen me in a while. The weight loss is really noticeable and even though I am aware that my friends and family love me for me and probably do not care a bit how I look, I am still ashamed and I feel judged even though they probably don't.

I have tried being kind to myself and be aware of the reasons for the weight gain and how it will hopefully change when my work situation and sleep situation changes but right now I cannot help feeling so ashamed for letting that happen. I envy people who lose weight when they are stressed. How do I deal with this? Any of you have experience with this and can give some helpful advice?

Thanks for reading and pls forgive any guideline violations!

submitted by /u/WaterLilyWaterLily
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/eN23IoR

No comments:

Post a Comment