Sunday, November 1, 2020

You should be proud of your progress, no matter how minor it seems

I (25F, 161cm, ~110kgs) went to see my doctor the other day. I was excited to tell him about my progress; about how I've been eating less, eating better, and consistently going to the gym for the past month. He was so happy and so proud of me that he gave me a high-five and honestly he looked so excited it was like watching a child receive a puppy for Christmas. He even went as far as to say, and I quote, "I wish I could record this conversation so I could show other patients who hate exercise that it is possible" and gave me another high-five. It was definitely a little ego boost for me, if I'm honest.

I haven't really lost any weight at this point, maybe a kilo or so, but I have gained so much muscle in this short span of time that I have a more solid frame. I'm the same size, but a lot less jiggly (for lack of a better word) and the doctor reassured me many times that the weight loss WILL come if I continue down this path, and that was exactly the kind of reinforcement I needed.

I have a lot of days where, although I know it takes time and hard work, I feel like I'm not doing enough or I should be seeing results quicker, but I had my mind so set on the scales that I missed that I AM seeing results, and the people around me are too!

My personal trainer commented the other day that he's so happy to be seeing progress already, he can see that my arms are toning up. My cousin commented while I was driving her around that my legs are more toned up because my jeans aren't folding up and squishing into the fat on my thighs as they used to. My boyfriend keeps commenting on how good I look lately. My coworkers mention that I seem a lot happier and more upbeat than usual.

So while I'm yet to start losing weight, people still notice when you're healthier.

I guess this post is just to reinforce that while it does take time and a lot of commitment, take all the small victories you can because they help a lot on your bad days, and try not to focus on the scales so much because weight isn't the best indicator of progress in the beginning!!

You CAN do this :)


P.S. I just want to end this by saying I'm in New Zealand where COVID is basically non-existent at this point in time in case anyone is worried about my proximity to others.

submitted by /u/rnoriarty
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2TJnonJ

No comments:

Post a Comment