Sunday, November 18, 2018

Even though I'm only 1.6 pounds lighter than I was 11 months ago, I consider it a huge win.

On December 13th, 2017 I logged my weight as 191.6 pounds. That was my lowest weight of 2017, and my second lowest weight of my entire adult life. Here I am, 11 months later, and I've been at a solid 190 for weeks. I was upset with myself about that, but then I started considering a few things that happened in 2018:

I experience recurring, undiagnosed health issues

I negatively reacted to different meds for those issues

I had surgery

I started working on a master's thesis

I had to relive past trauma

I experienced a major life change

Even with all that, my average weight for this entire year was 190 lbs, +/- 2 lbs. That means that after I lost over 25 pounds from March to December 2017, I kept that weight off for almost an entire year! I even managed to lose almost two more pounds in that time. Yes, I still have a long way to go before I reach my goal weight, but even in spite of the hell 2018 has put me through, I didn't gain the weight back! That's huge for me. In the past, even a single one of those event would have sent me into a self-pitying spiral that would undoubtedly lead to weight gain. BUT NOT THIS TIME!

Putting things into this perspective has helped me overcome the disappointment I had been feeling lately, and has helped me renew my determination that I can keep going. I didn't lose weight this year, no. But that's ok. I can keep going. I may not have the ability to be as dedicated to weight loss as I would like, but I can keep going. I can lose one or two pounds a month until all my other issues get sorted out. It's okay. Never had I ever managed to maintain any sort of weight loss for this long, so this was a actually a huge win for me. Slow and steady will help me win the race.

Edit: formatting

submitted by /u/lose-it-journey
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Dxfd7k

No comments:

Post a Comment