Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Be Careful of Underestimating Your TDEE, Too

Whenever a question comes up on this sub about how many calories to eat for weight loss, the answer is almost invariably to set your activity level to sedentary, track your weight, and then assess from there.

Being 6'3 (190 cm) and 180 lbs. (81.5 kg) I took this advice and began eating 2,300 calories a day and tracking my weight. This began a nearly year long cycle of tracking, binge eating and losing track of calories in, and having to start over.

I kept chalking it up to being weak-willed and not determined enough. I decided to give it another try , but this time decided to start at a much higher calorie limit. After tracking for a few weeks using the nSuns calculator, it turns out my TDEE is ~4,200. For a year I kept trying to eat at a nearly 2,000 calorie/day deficit. No wonder I kept falling off the wagon.

While sedentary might be right for most people, always gauge how you feel, and sometimes it's better to start off more conservatively. Take it from my mistake and remember that those calculators are, at best, rough estimates.

submitted by /u/cmh41896
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2NVbSEc

No comments:

Post a Comment