Thursday, November 21, 2019

Questions about adding Supplements and Weight loss

Hi Everyone,

I'll start with a bit of background. Like many folks my weight has fluctuated throughout my life, with 240lbs being the heaviest I've been and my lightest being around 190 (in my early 20s). It's no mystery why I've put on weight when I have and why its dropped off when it has. The most common issue has been dramatic shifts in my life (moving, changing jobs, having a kid etc.)

Currently I'm in my mid 30's. I'm 6' and as of this morning I way 212.7 lbs with my body fat at 24%. This is down from 240lbs with 34% starting about 4/5 months ago. I know that that's a fairly dramatic drop but I recently started a new job which allowed me to join a gym (I go to 4-5 times a week), run during my lunch hour (3-5 time a week)and I've also been able to take greater control of my diet, all things that I've been able to do at some point in the past. Basically I'm in a position where the changes that I've made are sustainable and honestly for the first time in my life I can confidently say that there should be no major changes coming up in the foreseeable future.

With that all being said I've started thinking about shifting my focus from just dropping weight to trying to adding muscle/getting fit. It seems to me then that there are two things that i need to do, the first is to continue to decrease my body fat % and the next is to increase my overall muscle mass. To that end, I was thinking about adjusting my diet and adding things like protein supplements post workout.

With that in mind my questions are as follows:

  • Which generally comes first increased muscle mass or loss of body fat?
  • Would simply adding a protein supplement after my workout (increasing my overall calorie intake) add muscle and fat, or would it increase muscle and help burn fat?
  • Instead of just adding protein, should I also change other parts of my diet to compensate for the additional calories?
  • If i did add supplements, should it be pre or post workout (or both)

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it, and I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone needs any clarification.

Thanks

submitted by /u/turnturnburn
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2KLdiPg

No comments:

Post a Comment