Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Feeling unproductive while losing weight

I have struggled with overweight/obesity for all of my life to varying degrees. I started my current weight loss journey in May from a starting BMI of 41. I felt horrendous both physically and mentally at that weight and my BMI had been 40+ for a long time. After losing 15 kg / 33 lbs, I am now down to a BMI of 36 and I'm steadily losing about 1 kg/ 2.2 lbs per week. I achieved this with a sensible plant-based intermittent fasting regime (nothing too harsh though - I just skip breakfast) and moderate amounts of exercise that I enjoy. It is hard to overstate the impact the lifestyle change had on my health and my social life - I have only lost about one third of the excess weight that I carry and I still have a long way to go but I already feel like a different person. Also, I haven't experienced any negative health effects that people typically experience, like losing hair and I think that's because I've been doing it healthily. So far, so good.

Here is the thing though - I am currently out of work and I honestly believe that if I had a job, I wouldn't be able to do this. Not having time to take care of healthy meals and exercising isn't even my biggest worry. I fear that the stress would cause me to overeat and that I would be exposed to a lot of unhealthy food in a conventional office. I also think I wouldn't be able to stick to intermittent fasting, or even to keeping my portions small. When I'm working, I always have this perception that my brain is running low on energy and I end up eating too much.

These days I spend most of my day reading about weight loss, browsing this subreddit, watching YouTubers talk about weight loss and tracking my weight, and otherwise just browsing the internet and reading books that I've been meaning to. So nothing too stressful. Some jobs have come up, including ones I was genuinely excited about, and I had some interviews, but when I got rejected, I consoled myself that at least I'll be able to continue my weight loss journey undisturbed.

Obviously this cannot go on forever and eventually I'll have to get a job, even though money isn't an issue for now. But I am already terrified that when that happens, all my hard work will be undone.

I am at the point where I have been meaning to take some language classes for months but I have been procrastinating about signing up because I'm terrified that even that could turn out to be too much stress and distract me from my goal.

Please someone tell me that I'm irrational and I don't need to put my life on hold in order to lose weight?

submitted by /u/feelingstuck15
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/eqMV9PS

No comments:

Post a Comment