Thursday, December 3, 2020

As I've lost weight, I've gotten... colder?

Context:

  • 5'3 trans man, 2.5 years on T, almost 2 years post-hysterectomy, pre-top-surgery
  • HW 265 / SW 156.8 CW 205 / GW 175-180ish
  • Shirt size has gone XL->M, pants have gone 44-38, shoes have gone 10 or 10.5 to 8
  • Eat about 1500-1800 calories a day. The actual food I eat varies, I can't really pin down a specific diet. I eat a fair amount of veggies and higher protein. I don't drink my calories (except for sugar-free creamer in my coffee)
  • I was running 3x/week and strength training 3-4x/week, but I had surgery about 5 weeks ago and I haven't fully recovered yet.

The actual post:

So, I've been on this journey since March. I plateaued about three months ago. Metabolism testing showed my metabolism was wayyyyy too low, so I increased my calories to get it back up. In that time I was still losing inches. Then, about a month ago I started losing again even though I didn't really change anything in my diet (I'm eating slightly less maybe, but it's not by much). Getting metabolism testing done again in about a week and a half to find out where that's at.

However, I've noticed I've gotten colder, oddly enough! And it's not like the normal winter colder, I'm definitely colder than I was last year. Dad teases me a little because I wear this BIG leather + wool jacket when it's 30-50 degrees out (Fahrenheit). Last year I couldn't zip that jacket up and I always felt like I was dying from the heat in it. Now, I wear it and I still feel a little chilly, even with it zipped! And I've started using my weighted blanket again because I don't feel like it's a sauna anymore.

It makes sense - fat tissue is good insulation, and when you lose fat you lose insulation. But it is NOT something I expected whatsoever. It's not something that's exactly talked about.

Last year I was also pretty comfortable walking around in a tee-shirt, jeans, and a hoodie in the dead of winter. Now, I'm trying to find good long-sleeved shirts, and I've stolen a couple of my dad's sweaters. It almost sucks because I love wearing my Hawaiin shirts, but I'm just too cold to wear them.

All my labs are fine, it's definitely not a medical thing. Temperatures are actually warmer now than they were a year ago.

This is wild! Why does nobody ever talk about getting colder when you lose weight? Is this a normal part of weight loss?

submitted by /u/queerlycatholic
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3g6Z5KR

No comments:

Post a Comment