Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Being Kind To Yourself

I was watching a video on YouTube last night (any fellow Simon & Martina fans out there?) and in the video the woman was talking about how hard we are on ourselves using the example of them learning Japanese. She had commented on how despite being able to read most of the menu and being able to order in Japanese that they often say, "That was good, but you could do better." It resonated.

I have been on the path of weight loss pretty much my entire life, mostly with limited success. For the first time ever, I have been commited to it and doing it in a healthy way that has lead me to a total of 84lbs lost from my highest weight. I have never given myself longer than a brief moment of recognition for that. No one else has even remarked at all at how different I look which I think only adds to my own lack of celebration. Any sane person would say 84lbs is a major accomplishment, I would be lining up to congratulate anyone else.

So today, I updated my weight loss goal chart on my fridge to reflect the next (and final) 100lbs I would like to lose. I do this often to trick myself into not having false victory seeing 84 ticks and thinking I have room to stumble, starting from 0 motivates me to get to my next goal. Today, I did something different though. Today I added at the bottom next to my -100lb lost, in brackets (-184 total). I smiled at that number and I looked at it for a long time thinking about what a huge accomplishment it will be when I get there. I looked at every number from my current weight to my goal weight and I smiled again thinking about how possible it is to see each of those numbers. I smiled at how close Onederland is and thought about what I would do when I reached it, I thought about how much I might smile when I rewrote my goal chart and only had 40 numbers to write, how surreal it would feel. And finally, I took a moment to thank myself and congratulate myself. I looked at the next three 10lb markers and told myself, "Look at you, doing the impossible and making it possible! Look at what your dedication has rewarded you with. You can do this. You ARE doing this!"

Being kind to yourself is important, recognizing that all the small successes are actually monumental because without them, you'd never be where you are now. I don't care if your success is that you decided today was the day, if you've lost .8lbs and given up sugary drinks, if you took the stairs once today, if you had a balanced meal and ate your calories perfectly, if you decided to try cooking or meal prepping for yourself or if you bought a new pair of pants even though you have more weight to lose. Every choice you make to better yourself is positive progress and it all deserves equal pride on yourself for doing it.

If no one else has told you yet how amazing you're doing, I am here to tell you, what you're doing is enough & every day you chose to keep going is another day you let go of everything you had used to hold yourself back. Dream big impossible dreams & watch yourself make them reality. You're stronger than you know.

submitted by /u/Naughty_Bimbo
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Tzo7Ko

No comments:

Post a Comment