Thursday, May 2, 2019

Kickstart Weight Loss

Hey all. I wanted to see if anyone has some great advice to kick start some weight loss.

I am a M, 29 yo, 6’4”, and weigh ~295 lbs. I would love to get down to 250-260 for starters. That was my weight right after college. I fit comfortably in XL shirts (currently XXL) during that time. About 2 years ago I worked out of town during the week for about a year and completely went off the rails. Diet was beyond horrible eating out for every meal and almost no exercise. (A footling chicken bacon ranch at subway was probably the most healthy thing I ate all week). I never weighed myself during that time but based on pictures from that time, I would have to guess I got up in the 320-330 range and even some XXL shirts started feeling tight. I am not trying to lose weight quickly. I just really want to trend in the right direction and haven’t had much luck. Consistently losing 1-2 lbs/wk would be great. I know this only gets harder as you get older so I really want to reign this in. Plus I’m getting married in about 7 mo!

I’ve been going at it for about 2 mo. I go to the gym about 4 times a week. 1 hr of weight lifting and 20-30 min of cardio each time. I use the Fitbod app (amazing in my opinion) for weight lifting regiments. I do take a low carb protein supplement (Isopure) - 1 scoop after each workout to help maximize muscle building. I also take a pre workout because I typically go to the gym in the AM before work and need that jolt of energy. I definitely feel myself getting more fit. I even see better muscle tone and maybe a little too much bulk building, but it hasn’t really translated to the scale.

I weigh myself around Thursday AM after I wake up and these are my last recordings 5/2 - 296.8 4/25 - 295.2 4/12 - 296.4 4/4 - 296.2 3/28 - 296.8 3/21 - 297.4 3/14 - 294.4 2/2- - 297.2

Diet wise I feel like I do okay to pretty well. I grill out a lot. My diet is mostly meat, veggies, and cheese. I did try the Keto diet for about 2 weeks and lost about 10 lbs. After I stopped the weight came right back. I think the keto diet would work but I don’t see myself eating that way forever. So my take away was just to try and stay away from carbs except for the occasional rice cake with peanut butter. I do go out usually once a week with friends and enjoy some beer but stick mostly to miller lites. And probably have 1 cheat meal on the weekend. Overall I am working on dialing in my diet even more but feel it’s at the point already where I should be losing at least a little weight...

I guess my question, to the experts or people who have been down this path before, is there any kind of aha moment when you saw the weight loss process kick into gear? Is there any common mistakes or bad assumptions people start out with that maybe doesn’t get them going in the right direction? Is there any area I should focus in on (tweak diet more, more cardio etc.)? I do get about 6-7 hrs of solid sleep at night and live a relatively stress free life. I have been thinking about getting outside help (other than reddit) from a consultant or personal trainer. But I really don’t have the extra cash to spend. Although if that is what is required to get this working, I can definitely make the investment.

Thanks for any feedback! I know there is probably no silver bullet answer but want to keep dialing stuff in and try something different to get this going. I would have thought maintaining a steady weight loss of 1-2 lbs/wk is not extremely difficult with a decent diet and exercise. Hope to be posting some great progress pics on here some day! Good luck to everyone else out there.

submitted by /u/BigSas00
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2PK0UQU

No comments:

Post a Comment