Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself against people who shame your weight loss

It seems like a common occurrence that people are shamed by their peers for weight loss. Comments like "you are too skinny already", "you look sick" etc. Trying to force food upon you and making you feel bad for trying to get healthier.

As someone who comes from a family where EVERYBODY is overweight and not a single person is fit, I got these comments a lot. I tried to present them with the facts, showing them what the healthy weight range is for my height, how great it makes me feel etc. and it went nowhere. It's pretty clear they don't know or care about the facts or else they wouldn't be making these remarks. I even tried being mature about it and saying I don't appreciate these comments, but they didn't truly care.

I ended up getting pretty sick of their disrespectful, body shaming comments and I started subtly clapping back.

Someone in my family told me "I need to gain a bit of weight I look sick" so I responded by saying "People die all the time for being overweight, but nobody has ever died from being lean with good cardio".

Another time we had family over for dinner and I decided to have smaller portions and skip out on desert. When they mocked me for being on a diet and withering away, I just responded by saying "I'd rather live another year thanks, you guys can enjoy that heart attack in a cup yourselves".

And ever since I started making these comments, I haven't heard a peep about my weight form any of them.

Some people are like crabs in a bucket, using mob mentality to gang up on somebody doing something different. If you are the victim of this, don't feel bad to be a little bit disrespectful with your conversation. As counter intuitive as it sounds, sometimes a subtle reminder that they are eating themselves to death while you are not builds enough respect that they don't want to go at it with you (like you deserve in the first place).

submitted by /u/superman91829182
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3wBkOB5

No comments:

Post a Comment