Wednesday, July 14, 2021

I Blew it on Day 1 .... Or, How I Ended Up in the Drive-thru Again.

I blew it on day one.

I’m cutting strawberries for my son, listening to a podcast, when an idea lands: I want to chronicle my weight loss journey on Reddit. I'm really ready this time. Since my husband was already well on his way to his own weight loss goals, I ask him if he would let me chronicle him as well.

Sure! Great idea honey.

My son screams from his highchair, and I realize I’m starving. The two usually go hand-in-hand. I get my son squared away at a meal, but before I can start preparing my own, he’s already waving his hands to let me know he’s “all done.”

I shouldn’t have waited this long to eat lunch. It’s almost one o’clock already. I ask my son to wait as I scour the fridge and find nothing quick, easy, and satisfying. My husband is making some kind of beans and rice dish on the stove in a giant pot that will take at least an hour. As he removes my son from the highchair, he suggests I eat a salad.

Eat a…WHAT?

The look I give him lets him know that was the wrong thing to say.

A salad would only suffice if my hunger level was at a 2 or 3, not the full-blown, animalistic 10 I was feeling just then.

I clean up my son and strap him in the car, screaming a “Don’t judge me!” in my wake in case my husband has any additional advice, and I’m off. It shouldn’t be easier grabbing take-out than making a small meal at home, but it is. In the car, with my son safely strapped in his carseat, I have time to drive, order my meal, and eat it on the way home in total peace. Wolfing down a sandwich and fries while weaving in-and-out of traffic is far less cumbersome and stressful than eating in the vicinity of my one-year-old son, who grabs at my plate for the sheer joy of making Mommy repeatedly ask him to stop. At least in the car my food won’t end up on the floor.

Well, mostly.

And this is how I ended up in the Arby’s drive-thru on day one. Actually, this is how I end up in a drive-thru 2-3 times per week. It's embarrassing, and a cop-out, and the best I can do sometimes.

And this is something that will have to stop if I want (and I do, I really do) to lose the weight.

submitted by /u/MyInnerCulture
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3kg9xnq

No comments:

Post a Comment