Thursday, September 3, 2020

[Century Club] September 3, 2020 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous topics: Health - Exercise - Denial - Headwinds - Streaks - Other People - Toolkit - Breaks - Support - Clothing - The Unexpected - Self-image - How do you end your journey? - What made it click? - Loose Skin


Today's topic: Fun!

Many of our topics are serious and focus on the long road we have to face, but life isn't all disciplined routine! Tell us about something fun that you were able to do because of the weight loss or something fun that you were able to do despite being on your journey.

The anecdote that I enjoy the most here because it really cemented my view of how I wanted to be able to live my life in maintenance was the Gelato Festival I attended in June 2019. At that point I was ~185 lbs, so I had lost about 90 lbs and was about 15 lbs from my goal. In about 3 months I would be ready to approach maintenance. However, I was already at a weight that I could live with if I never lost another pound.

My partner and I decided to go to this festival despite her celiac disease, we expected there would be at least some gluten-free flavors she could try. It was a nice warm late spring day, the weather was great and we started the day with a decent breakfast. (I logged 480 kcal). We took the train and walked over to the site of the festival. Surveyed the festival, decided it was worth the price of admission and proceeded to try out the gelato. Each stand had a signature flavor and there were about 16 different ones to try. Each serving was about a half-scoop, somewhere around 2 fluid ounces, but enough to get a real feel for that particular flavor. We ranked which ones we wanted to sample and headed in for the first 6 flavors. If one turned out to include some gluten, my partner avoided it.

After this first round we were beginning to get full, and decided to take a walk for a bit. we wandered around the site a bit checking out local stores, sights and restaurants we might want to come back to and when we had digested a bit.

Overall I managed to taste 10 flavors of gelato, called that my lunch when I just couldn't eat anymore and logged it as 10*2 oz = 2.5 cups of generic gelato for 575 kcal. I looked at many different entries and picked one sort of in the middle of the pack.

We stopped in at the Italian market that was sponsoring the festival on our way out and bought some nice charcuterie and fruit for a light warm weather dinner. I logged that as 90g of prosciutto and breasola and 1 cup of cantaloupe for 320 kcal.

I ended up walking 15K steps that day, to/from and around the festival.

I went in to the day fearful that it could derail me, but all in my food log says I ended the day with 1400 kcal in and 2900 kcal out. I probably had a glass of wine with dinner that I didn't log, and my estimates for the gelato servings may have been off a bit but hard to believe that would manage to offset my 1500 kcal deficit for the day.

We had a real blast, enjoyed some excellent new to us foods and I managed to prove to myself that fun around food was still possible, acceptable and even manageable for me in maintenance.

We hit a few more food festivals last summer, maybe one a month, wish we had been able to repeat this summer, but the virus had other plans.

What about you? Did you climb a mountain? Run a marathon? Ride a roller coaster? Eat something you never thought of as "diet compatible" food? Try a new sexual position? Centurions, what ways have you found of introducing more fun in your lives?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3jJ715z

No comments:

Post a Comment