Wednesday, June 3, 2020

A scale that measures body fat and lean mass has done wonders for me

I'll preface this saying I know that the percentages on these are not perfect. Different brands will vary a few percent (like my home scale says I'm at 17% body fat while my gym's more advanced scale is at 15.5% today). And even then, it won't be as good as a DEXA scan.

But the greater point is, it gives at least some idea of your body composition. So on those days that you're frustrated as hell that you put on 4 pounds overnight after going to the gym and packing a stone of water weight (exaggeration, but you know the feeling), you at least have some idea of what's really happening underneath your skin.

Example: Last week I weighed in at 178 on my gym's scale with 18.1% body fat. That put me at 145.8 pounds lean mass and 32.2 pounds fat mass.

Today's scale was up to 179.4 overall but a lean/fat ratio of 151.4/28.

Honestly, this has really helped me with what I feared was the onset of an eating disorder. Whenever I'd get close to an upcoming milestone like the 175 I reached last week, I would eat or drink less so that my water weight wouldn't throw off the scale, or I'd wait and wait to eat/drink in the morning until I had a bowel movement so the pure weight would read as low as it could go.

So while the measurements may not be entirely precise, at least having some idea of your body's composition could be a big help, especially for those that are going through a plateau because of a diet or exercise change. I've been there before when the scale just isn't moving even though you're eating at a caloric deficit.

But even if you can't get one of these more advanced scales (they are cheaper than you might expect though) and you're just starting your weight loss journey, at least get a scale. I hadn't stepped on one for three years in college, had no idea that I put on 40 pounds until my roommate forgot his when he moved out. It's never too late.

TLDR: Understanding my body's composition has been a huge help for me to understand why I've gained weight. The percentages may not be perfect, but it's at least some indication of what's happening during a plateau.

submitted by /u/spcordy
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ACESf4

No comments:

Post a Comment