Sunday, January 8, 2023

Is it sustainable to eat a really low calorie diet and train for a 5k?

Hi, I’m 5’6 and weigh 168lbs, and am 38lbs overweight. I used to love food, love eating & I would always graze even if I wasn’t hungry (which I know was bad). Due to some events last week, I no longer have an appetite, and I no longer derive any pleasure or happiness from eating. If I eat too much, I feel like I’m going to throw up. This past week I have unintentionally fasted for 40 straight hours, and consumed less than 700 calories each day. I also started running again.

I feel fine consuming less than 700 calories a day, but I also want to start training for a 5k that I signed up for which will be taking place in late March. I did some cardio and body weight exercises this week, and the DOMs aren’t bad but they’re there.

Next week I’ll be starting cardio 5x a week as well as a simple body weight circuit, and I wonder how much the low calorie intake will affect my progress both in terms of weight loss, cardiovascular endurance and muscle recovery.

I bought some supplements (protein, electrolytes, BCAAs & multi vitamin) and have been using Cronometer to monitor my daily intake of vitamins and minerals. In theory, as long as I get enough nutrients, is this 700 calories/day thing sustainable for a month or so? I’ve been shooting to eat at least 1000 but I’ve just been so repulsed by food lately..

I have an appointment with a nutritionist this month but I just wanna hear if anyone has been in my situation before. I guess my main goal this month is to lose weight first and foremost, and increase CV endurance and minimize muscle loss second (though I know at the deficit I’ve been at I’m bound to lose some). Will running and the body weight exercises help with that or just quicken my muscle loss? If I eat, should I focus on getting more protein than anything else? Would that help with muscle recovery? Should I just focus on losing weight with a calorie deficit through diet vs diet and exercise and start training for the 5k next month instead?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

submitted by /u/annielikes
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/NLMFwhK

No comments:

Post a Comment