Saturday, February 2, 2019

NSV: My blood donation record shows that losing only 15 lbs resolved my pre-hypertension!

https://imgur.com/a/25760K8

I'm only 26, but my blood pressure has always been on the higher side. There is cardiovascular disease in my family.

The blood donation service in my country logs blood pressure every time you donate plasma/platelets/whole blood. You can plot an almost perfect drop in both systolic and diastolic BP over the year that I lost 15 lbs, or about 7 kg. Of course, the weight loss is just a surrogate measure of improved diet and exercise. A similar decline happened the year before, as well. My reading a few days ago is the lowest it has ever been. From 131/85 to 105/73! I took the BP myself a few times afterward, since BP can vary for lots of reasons. It's consistently around 105/70.

RE: moderator guidelines

What was the biggest change you made that helped you meet this goal?

I used to be 135 kg, or about 300 lbs, almost ten years ago. Weight loss and maintenance at this lower end of around 150 lbs is difficult, and highly individual. I'm mainly motivated because I know my previous high weight has the ability to still impact my health today, even if it's just limited arterial damage. I was morbidly obese throughout primary and high school, so my lifestyle choices in my 20s and 30s will make a significant impact on my health in my 40s and 50s. I want to reverse as much as I can. I personally use CICO and food substitutes with only minimal exercise, but everyone is different.

What is the biggest take away or lesson you learned?

15 lbs hasn't made much of a difference to my appearance, but my health is definitely better for it.

submitted by /u/manlikerealities
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2UBqjx3

No comments:

Post a Comment